Remote Access and Best Practices
Black Talon Security
Remote Access and Best Practices
Cybercriminals are now leveraging our national crisis to target businesses of all sizes by launching cyberattacks and phishing campaigns in order to exploit us at a potential time of weakness. There have been warnings issued by government agencies related to cybercriminals targeting businesses that are turning on remote access to their systems in order to help with business continuity. Remote access is a very powerful tool but, if not implemented correctly, may result in a cyber or ransomware attack against the business. As businesses rush to close their physical operations and move to a remote workforce, the improper configuration of these remote access systems can be an easy way for cybercriminals to attack. Please follow these best practices for remote access:
1. Unless your IT resources clearly understand the risks associated with using Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP), do not allow them to install it. RDP is a highly exploitable technology that is a primary target of cybercriminals.
2. Utilize a remote control software that allows you to "log in” to a computer at your office.
3. Make sure the remote control software utilizes Multi Factor Authentication (MFA) so it makes it more difficult for a cybercriminal to hack into your system. MFA sends a text message to your cell phone or an App on your phone to authenticate your log in.
4. Utilize strong passwords that incorporate multiple words, numbers and special characters for the authentication for the remote control software.
5. If you are using a VPN, make sure your IT vendor has updated all the VPN software. As of just a few months ago, many VPNs had vulnerabilities that could allow a breach to occur.
6. Make sure all remote computers are running the latest versions of Windows 10 or MAC.
7. Make sure all remote computers have anti-virus software installed and the virus definitions are up-to-date.
8. Use strong passwords on all remote and host computers that incorporate multiple words, numbers and special characters.
9. For Wi-Fi enabled devices, use the strongest encryption protocol available. WPA3 is the newest. At a minimum, you should be using WPA2.
10. Do not allow family members to access any device that is used to remote into a work computer.
11. Make sure you lock the computer before you walk away from it. On a Windows computer, this can be done by pressing the "Windows” key and the letter "L” at the same time.
1. Confirm that 100% of your data is in fact being backed up.
2. Before you leave the office, make a backup of ALL your data. This includes imaging, patient databases, attachments, financial systems, images, etc. This backup should be saved to an encrypted external hard drive that is stored offsite.
3. Confirm that all your cloud data backup is up- to- date and all your systems are being backed up.
Phishing Attacks/Social Engineering
Cybercriminals are now leveraging the current COVID-19 crisis as a methodology to attack systems. Be extremely careful when receiving any emails related to the COVID-19 infection. These phishing emails are designed to lure you into clicking on links or attachments that may seem relevant to the current situation. In addition, "heat maps" that show the infection rates may direct you to a fake website that will download malicious code onto your device.
Signs of a COVID-19 Phishing email may include:
· A link to a "heat map” showing the infection areas/rates
· A link to a fake government or state agency designed to look real
· A link to a government or state agency with a legitimate name, but a fake hyperlink
· A warning to download a document related to COVID-19
· A link to a hospital or other healthcare institution
Please be extremely careful regarding these types of emails and always use the link hovering technique to verify the final destination. Place your mouse over the link or image, look at the bottom left corner of your screen and validate the URL (web address).
For additional information, please contact Black Talon Security at 800-683-3797 or visit us at blacktalonsecurity.com
- AUG. 2020 - New Car Tag to Support Alabama Small Business
- AUG. 2020 - Fairhope Walking School Bus Idling Until Sept. 1
- JUL. 2020 - CAP Releases RFP for Eco-Tourism
- JUL. 2020 - Baldwin County Probate Office Update
- JUL. 2020 - Public Notice Regarding Mandatory Mask Requirement for Circuit Courts in Baldwin County Courts
- JUL. 2020 - Jubilee Festival of Arts Unveils 2020 Festival Poster Artwork by Local Artist Ricky Trione
- JUL. 2020 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Launches New Tourism Website to Boost Exposure for Local Small Businesses
- JUN. 2020 - Prodisee Pantry Asking Families Seeking Food Tomorrow to Pre-plan Route and Extra Time DUE TO TRAFFIC & ROAD CLOSURES
- JUN. 2020 - Former Fortune 100 Business Leader John Manelos Announces Bid to Become Next Mayor of Fairhope, AL
- JUN. 2020 - Legends in Concert to ReOpen at OWA
- JUN. 2020 - BB&T/Truist PPP by the Numbers
- JUN. 2020 - SBA and Treasury Announce New EZ and Revised Full Forgiveness Applications for the Paycheck Protection Program
- JUN. 2020 - Baldwin County's May 2020 Housing Report
- MAY. 2020 - 2020 Legislative Session Recap
- MAY. 2020 - COVID-19 Emergency Relief: Guidelines for Payment of Outstanding Sales and Lodgings Tax Liability
- MAY. 2020 - SERVPRO Cleaning Specialist in Daphne Recommends Four Key Things to Look for as Businesses Reopen
- MAY. 2020 - Local Businesses Partner with Eastern Shore Chamber & Coastal Alabama Community College to Launch New IT Apprenticeship
- MAY. 2020 - Gov. Kay Ivey Amends Safer at Home Order
- APR. 2020 - Calling All Helping Hands
- APR. 2020 - Infirmary Health Launches Convalescent Plasma Donation Program to Treat Sickest COVID-19 Patients
- APR. 2020 - Local Nonprofits Need Our Help
- APR. 2020 - Guidelines: Opening Up America Again
- APR. 2020 - SAWDC Region 07 Job and Training Opportunities
- APR. 2020 - Baldwin County Covid-19 Impact Report
- APR. 2020 - Free Facebook Training During Lockdown
- APR. 2020 - Prodisee Pantry announces changes to Mass Emergency Food Distribution due to Highway 31 road construction
- APR. 2020 - PPP & EIDL Updates
- APR. 2020 - Bridge the Gap Bama
- APR. 2020 - How is COVD-19 Affecting Your Workforce
- APR. 2020 - Maritime Executive Named Director and Chief Executive of the Alabama State Port Authority
- APR. 2020 - PPE Resources For Businesses
- APR. 2020 - Costal Alabama Community College Division of Workforce Development launches online custom built industry curriculum to upskill workers amongst the COVID crisis.
- APR. 2020 - With $349 Billion in Emergency Small Business Capital Cleared, SBA and Treasury Begin Unprecedented Public-Private Mobilization Effort to Distribute Funds
- MAR. 2020 - Breaking Down the SBA Loan For Small Businesses
- MAR. 2020 - Diagnostic and Medical Clinic evaluating all symptomatic persons beginning Monday, March 30
- MAR. 2020 - Emergency Food Distribution at Prodisee Pantry
- MAR. 2020 - Alabama’s 20 Safest Cities of 2020
- MAR. 2020 - Baldwin County Residents Can Receive GED and Occupational Skills Training Online Through Coastal Alabama
- MAR. 2020 - News Release: USA Health Children’s & Women’s Hospital Forms New Partnership to Teach Community Classes
- MAR. 2020 - Remote Access and Best Practices
- MAR. 2020 - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources
- MAR. 2020 - 2020 Census to Make Big Difference for Alabama
- MAR. 2020 - Elsa Engeriser Named National Merit Finalist
- NOV. 2019 - Daphne High School to Host Career Fair
- OCT. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Workforce Development Director Graduates from U.S. Chamber Foundation Education & Workforce Fellowship Program
- SEP. 2019 - STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT ENCOURAGING ALL ALABAMIANS TO TAKE 10 MINUTES AND PARTICIPATE IN THE “TAKE 10 FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION” SURVEY
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 31st Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Sponsored Local High School Student to Participate in Economic and Community Development Program at Huntingdon College
- APR. 2019 - Baldwin County Named an ACT Work Ready Community
- MAR. 2019 - 2U Tire Named April Small Business of the Month
- JAN. 2019 - 2019 Baldwin County Career & Job Fair
- NOV. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Nominations
- NOV. 2018 - City of Fairhope Holds Visual Preference Survey Process to Gather Feedback for Future Development
- NOV. 2018 - Hatch Fairhope Announces Grand Opening
- OCT. 2018 - YOUTH LEADERSHIP BLOG: History & Geography Day
- SEP. 2018 - Alliance Publishing Group Named Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Month
- JUL. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 30th Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Wins Communications Excellence Award for Eastern Shore Elf Campaign
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Publishes Updated Election Guide for Primary Runoff Races
- MAY. 2018 - 2018 Primary Election Guide
- MAY. 2018 - Old Tyme Feed: May Small Business of the Month
- MAR. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Winners
- JAN. 2018 - A New Year: Where We've Been & Where We're Going
- SEP. 2017 - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Parts Ways with the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival Foundation
- DEC. 2016 - Fairhope Music Opens New Location
- DEC. 2016 - Brandy Rhodes Coaching Now Open in Fairhope
- NOV. 2016 - Congressman Bradley Byrne Addresses Business Community Following the Presidential Election
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber to Offer Leadership Workshop for Members
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber Young Professionals to Host a Cornhole Tournament to Benefit the Spanish Fort Public Library
- JUL. 2016 - The Eastern Shore Guide to the 4th of July
- MAY. 2016 - May Newsletter
- APR. 2016 - Fairhope Resident Named SCORE Mentor of the Year
- APR. 2016 - The April 2016 Newsletter
- MAR. 2016 - Ribbon Cut for AltaWorx
- MAR. 2016 - Spring 2016 Youth Leadership Applications
- FEB. 2016 - Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and Baldwin County Chambers of Commerce Host 16th Annual Job Fair
- FEB. 2016 - Specialized Therapy Services Opens in Fairhope
- FEB. 2016 - ESCoC Governmental Affairs Survey Results
- SEP. 2015 - Joe Hudson’s Collision Center
- SEP. 2015 - BenchMark Physical Therapy
- SEP. 2015 - Sage Lebanese Cuisine & Café
- SEP. 2015 - Shux on the Pier
- SEP. 2015 - Tourism Executive Of The Year Award
- SEP. 2015 - The 27th Anniversary Jubilee Festival
- SEP. 2015 - Youth Leadership 14th Annual Seven-Month Program
- JUL. 2015 - January 2015 Morning Marketing Release
- APR. 2015 - Eastern Shore Magazine 2015
- FEB. 2015 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER HONORS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD WINNER Tree Planted at Christ the King School
- SEP. 2014 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program Applications Available - Forty Students to be Selected to Participate in Class of 2015
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES June 10 TOPIC: “Economic Update for Baldwin County”
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER TO HOLD CANDIDATES FORUM - For Baldwin County Commissioner Candidates
- Jun. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Candidates Forum
- Apr. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Celebrate the Arts
- Mar. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Mar. 2014 - 30th Prayer Breakfast
- Mar. 2014 - Leadership Applications
- Mar. 2014 - Council Lucheon
- Feb. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Jan. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Nov. 2013 - Eggs N' Issues - Onespot
- Oct. 2013 - Student Art Competition
- Oct. 2013 - E.S.C. Seeks Local Artists
- Oct. 2013 - Candidate Forum Release
- Oct. 2013 - What's Going On in AL Legislature
- Jul.2013 - Mardi Gras Schedule - 2014