Mitigation for Homeowners May Reduce Potential Damage in Future Storms
Mitigation for Homeowners May Reduce Potential Damage in Future Storms
MONTGOMERY, Ala. – Rebuilding after a disaster can present opportunities as well as challenges for homeowners. This is certainly true for survivors of Hurricane Sally.
The challenges include getting the job done quickly and efficiently. The opportunities involve rebuilding stronger, smarter, safer and better, with more resilience. The process is called mitigation.
Mitigation reduces the risk to property from future events. While it may involve a larger initial investment, mitigation pays off in the long run. In fact, FEMA estimates that on average, for every $1 spent on mitigation, $6 are saved from future losses.
"We want survivors to plan for the future, to ensure their homes and communities are stronger when the next storm hits,” said Allan Jarvis, FEMA’s Federal Coordinating Officer in Alabama.
FEMA has a checklist to help Hurricane Sally survivors rebuild so their homes are protected in future storms:
• Know your risk. Review local flood maps to understand your property’s flood risk. https://www.fema.gov/flood-maps
• Develop a plan. Things to consider:
o Elevate or flood-proof your washer, dryer, water heater and HVAC systems. If possible, move these appliances out of your basement to the second floor.
o Relocate electrical outlets to three feet above the floor.
o Install exterior floodwalls to protect window wells or stairs against low-level flooding.
o Install a backflow valve in the sewer line and flood vents in foundation walls, garages, and other enclosed areas.
o Seal your basement walls with waterproofing compounds.
o If you have a gable-end roof, add bracings to reinforce the roof. Consider fastening the roof to the walls with hurricane straps.
• Finalize your plan. There are a wide range of options for protecting your home from flood and wind events through mitigation. Be sure to consult with a licensed contractor and the local building department before making any structural changes to understand requirements and obtain any necessary permits.
• Contact your local building official before rebuilding/renovating/retrofitting. Make sure your plans meet local and state government requirements. Get proper permits.
• Be smart when you start. Use reliable, licensed contractors. Get a written estimate. Check references. Pay by check.
• Get insurance. Anywhere it rains, it can flood. Protect your investment in your home by purchasing flood insurance, even if you do not live in a high-risk flood zone. FEMA’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) helps cover costly losses associated with flooding. For more information, Visit https://www.floodsmart.gov.
FEMA provides grant funding for certain kinds of mitigation projects under the Hazard Mitigation Assistance Program. For more information, and how to apply for the program, visit https://www.fema.gov/grants/mitigation/hazard-mitigation/individuals.
Alabama residents with homes affected by Hurricane Sally last month, can talk to a FEMA Mitigation Specialist for help in making repairs. These specialists are available to provide rebuilding tips, questions about home repair, the importance of flood insurance, making disaster plans, and building supplies.
Get helpful advice from a specialist on the FEMA Mitigation Helpline at 866-579-0820, Monday through Saturday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Central Time. Specialists are also available by email at FEMA-MitOutreachemail@example.com.
- JAN. 2021 - Public Meeting Announced for Special Education
- JAN. 2021 - Alabama Department of Public Health Scheduled to Conduct COVID-19 Vaccination Clinics in Baldwin County
- JAN. 2021 - U.S. Department of Labor Reminds Specific Employers to Submit Required 2020 Injury and Illness Data by March 2, 2021
- DEC. 2020 - Jennifer Claire Moore Foundation: Youth Mental Health First Aid Upcoming Training December 14th
- NOV. 2020 - SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans Available in Alabama Following Secretary of Agriculture Disaster Declaration
- NOV. 2020 - SBA Deadline for Alabama Private Nonprofit Organizations to Apply for Physical Damage Disaster Loans is Dec. 8
- NOV. 2020 - General Election Amendments Breakdown
- OCT. 2020 - SBA Disaster Loans Available to Alabama Private Non-Profit Organizations Affected by Hurricane Sally
- OCT. 2020 - Alabama Road Trips
- OCT. 2020 - Note From the President, Casey Williams
- SEP. 2020 - Eastern Shore Chamber Announces New Dates for Mayoral Runoff Debates in Daphne and Spanish Fort
- SEP. 2020 - Hurricane Resource Guide
- SEP. 2020 - Prodisee Pantry to Hold Mass Emergency Food Distribution Tomorrow in Response to Hurricane Sally
- AUG. 2020 - BALDWIN TOGETHER - Cooperative Partnerships Working Together Supporting Baldwin County Residents Impacted by COVID-19
- AUG. 2020 - Your Employee is in Jail SCAM Happening Locally
- AUG. 2020 - New Car Tag to Support Alabama Small Business
- AUG. 2020 - Fairhope Walking School Bus Idling Until Sept. 1
- JUL. 2020 - CAP Releases RFP for Eco-Tourism
- JUL. 2020 - Baldwin County Probate Office Update
- JUL. 2020 - Public Notice Regarding Mandatory Mask Requirement for Circuit Courts in Baldwin County Courts
- JUL. 2020 - Jubilee Festival of Arts Unveils 2020 Festival Poster Artwork by Local Artist Ricky Trione
- JUL. 2020 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Launches New Tourism Website to Boost Exposure for Local Small Businesses
- JUN. 2020 - Prodisee Pantry Asking Families Seeking Food Tomorrow to Pre-plan Route and Extra Time DUE TO TRAFFIC & ROAD CLOSURES
- JUN. 2020 - Former Fortune 100 Business Leader John Manelos Announces Bid to Become Next Mayor of Fairhope, AL
- JUN. 2020 - Legends in Concert to ReOpen at OWA
- JUN. 2020 - BB&T/Truist PPP by the Numbers
- JUN. 2020 - SBA and Treasury Announce New EZ and Revised Full Forgiveness Applications for the Paycheck Protection Program
- JUN. 2020 - Baldwin County's May 2020 Housing Report
- MAY. 2020 - 2020 Legislative Session Recap
- MAY. 2020 - COVID-19 Emergency Relief: Guidelines for Payment of Outstanding Sales and Lodgings Tax Liability
- MAY. 2020 - SERVPRO Cleaning Specialist in Daphne Recommends Four Key Things to Look for as Businesses Reopen
- MAY. 2020 - Local Businesses Partner with Eastern Shore Chamber & Coastal Alabama Community College to Launch New IT Apprenticeship
- MAY. 2020 - Gov. Kay Ivey Amends Safer at Home Order
- APR. 2020 - Calling All Helping Hands
- APR. 2020 - Infirmary Health Launches Convalescent Plasma Donation Program to Treat Sickest COVID-19 Patients
- APR. 2020 - Local Nonprofits Need Our Help
- APR. 2020 - Guidelines: Opening Up America Again
- APR. 2020 - SAWDC Region 07 Job and Training Opportunities
- APR. 2020 - Baldwin County Covid-19 Impact Report
- APR. 2020 - Free Facebook Training During Lockdown
- APR. 2020 - Prodisee Pantry announces changes to Mass Emergency Food Distribution due to Highway 31 road construction
- APR. 2020 - PPP & EIDL Updates
- APR. 2020 - Bridge the Gap Bama
- APR. 2020 - How is COVD-19 Affecting Your Workforce
- APR. 2020 - Maritime Executive Named Director and Chief Executive of the Alabama State Port Authority
- APR. 2020 - PPE Resources For Businesses
- APR. 2020 - Costal Alabama Community College Division of Workforce Development launches online custom built industry curriculum to upskill workers amongst the COVID crisis.
- APR. 2020 - With $349 Billion in Emergency Small Business Capital Cleared, SBA and Treasury Begin Unprecedented Public-Private Mobilization Effort to Distribute Funds
- MAR. 2020 - Breaking Down the SBA Loan For Small Businesses
- MAR. 2020 - Diagnostic and Medical Clinic evaluating all symptomatic persons beginning Monday, March 30
- MAR. 2020 - Emergency Food Distribution at Prodisee Pantry
- MAR. 2020 - Alabama’s 20 Safest Cities of 2020
- MAR. 2020 - Baldwin County Residents Can Receive GED and Occupational Skills Training Online Through Coastal Alabama
- MAR. 2020 - News Release: USA Health Children’s & Women’s Hospital Forms New Partnership to Teach Community Classes
- MAR. 2020 - Remote Access and Best Practices
- MAR. 2020 - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources
- MAR. 2020 - 2020 Census to Make Big Difference for Alabama
- MAR. 2020 - Elsa Engeriser Named National Merit Finalist
- NOV. 2019 - Daphne High School to Host Career Fair
- OCT. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Workforce Development Director Graduates from U.S. Chamber Foundation Education & Workforce Fellowship Program
- SEP. 2019 - STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT ENCOURAGING ALL ALABAMIANS TO TAKE 10 MINUTES AND PARTICIPATE IN THE “TAKE 10 FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION” SURVEY
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 31st Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Sponsored Local High School Student to Participate in Economic and Community Development Program at Huntingdon College
- APR. 2019 - Baldwin County Named an ACT Work Ready Community
- MAR. 2019 - 2U Tire Named April Small Business of the Month
- JAN. 2019 - 2019 Baldwin County Career & Job Fair
- NOV. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Nominations
- NOV. 2018 - City of Fairhope Holds Visual Preference Survey Process to Gather Feedback for Future Development
- NOV. 2018 - Hatch Fairhope Announces Grand Opening
- OCT. 2018 - YOUTH LEADERSHIP BLOG: History & Geography Day
- SEP. 2018 - Alliance Publishing Group Named Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Month
- JUL. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 30th Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Wins Communications Excellence Award for Eastern Shore Elf Campaign
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Publishes Updated Election Guide for Primary Runoff Races
- MAY. 2018 - 2018 Primary Election Guide
- MAY. 2018 - Old Tyme Feed: May Small Business of the Month
- MAR. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Winners
- JAN. 2018 - A New Year: Where We've Been & Where We're Going
- SEP. 2017 - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Parts Ways with the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival Foundation
- DEC. 2016 - Fairhope Music Opens New Location
- DEC. 2016 - Brandy Rhodes Coaching Now Open in Fairhope
- NOV. 2016 - Congressman Bradley Byrne Addresses Business Community Following the Presidential Election
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber to Offer Leadership Workshop for Members
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber Young Professionals to Host a Cornhole Tournament to Benefit the Spanish Fort Public Library
- JUL. 2016 - The Eastern Shore Guide to the 4th of July
- MAY. 2016 - May Newsletter
- APR. 2016 - Fairhope Resident Named SCORE Mentor of the Year
- APR. 2016 - The April 2016 Newsletter
- MAR. 2016 - Ribbon Cut for AltaWorx
- MAR. 2016 - Spring 2016 Youth Leadership Applications
- FEB. 2016 - Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and Baldwin County Chambers of Commerce Host 16th Annual Job Fair
- FEB. 2016 - Specialized Therapy Services Opens in Fairhope
- FEB. 2016 - ESCoC Governmental Affairs Survey Results
- SEP. 2015 - Joe Hudson’s Collision Center
- SEP. 2015 - BenchMark Physical Therapy
- SEP. 2015 - Sage Lebanese Cuisine & Café
- SEP. 2015 - Shux on the Pier
- SEP. 2015 - Tourism Executive Of The Year Award
- SEP. 2015 - The 27th Anniversary Jubilee Festival
- SEP. 2015 - Youth Leadership 14th Annual Seven-Month Program
- JUL. 2015 - January 2015 Morning Marketing Release
- APR. 2015 - Eastern Shore Magazine 2015
- FEB. 2015 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER HONORS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD WINNER Tree Planted at Christ the King School
- SEP. 2014 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program Applications Available - Forty Students to be Selected to Participate in Class of 2015
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES June 10 TOPIC: “Economic Update for Baldwin County”
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER TO HOLD CANDIDATES FORUM - For Baldwin County Commissioner Candidates
- Jun. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Candidates Forum
- Apr. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Celebrate the Arts
- Mar. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Mar. 2014 - 30th Prayer Breakfast
- Mar. 2014 - Leadership Applications
- Mar. 2014 - Council Lucheon
- Feb. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Jan. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Nov. 2013 - Eggs N' Issues - Onespot
- Oct. 2013 - Student Art Competition
- Oct. 2013 - E.S.C. Seeks Local Artists
- Oct. 2013 - Candidate Forum Release
- Oct. 2013 - What's Going On in AL Legislature
- Jul.2013 - Mardi Gras Schedule - 2014