Here is How Your Small Business Can Succeed in a World of Retail Behemoths
Owning a small business has never been easy. Anyone who succeeds must have a passion for their work, be willing to put in extra hours, and come across a little bit of luck along the way. While the internet has created a lot of opportunities and benefits for small businesses everywhere, it has also aided the consistent dominance of retail behemoths like Amazon, Walmart, Costco, and others.
This brings us to the question: Can a small business truly thrive in such a world? The answer is yes. Retail giants may dominate in sales and revenue, but that doesn’t mean that your smaller enterprise can’t find your place and capitalize on the unique qualities that you can offer your customers.
Whether you run an eCommerce store, brick-and-mortar store, or both, here are some surefire ways you can up your game and blaze a trail to success:
Keep learning about eCommerce.
With a rapidly changing tech world, the landscape of business is constantly evolving. As in any area of life, how successful your business is will depend—in many ways—on your willingness to keep learning. And the web offers endless resources to assist your endeavors.
Take, for instance, eCommerce wikis, which canteach you about everything from advertising and public relations to growth hacking and brand equity. A willingness—even an eagerness—to use this kind of resource will help you to set your company apart and find success.
Consider temp staffing.
Companies like Amazon and Walmart wouldn’t be where they are if they didn’t run world-class warehouses and distribution centers. If your company requires a warehouse, you won’t be able to reach your potential without running it efficiently, either.
Fortunately, you don’t need to start with a ton of full-time workers to achieve this. By going through a temp agency, you can fill positions with temporary workers, which will buy you time to find quality full-time candidates. Plus, along with helping you to get your business operations running effectively, a staffing agency will even handle payroll for you.
Narrow your niche.
It may seem, between all the largest retailers out there, that everything that can be sold is being sold. However, everything’s not being sold, and your business can offer customers something unique. If you already have such a product, then you need to focus your energy on developing a killer marketing strategy. If not, make a priority of finding/narrowing your niche so that you can give people something not offered by other companies.
Provide second-to-none customer service.
The most successful retailers in the world today typically have consistent customer service. In fact, nothing is more important than customer service, especially in an age where purchasing and receiving products is getting more and more convenient.
Here’s the catch: Your small business has an advantage in this department. While the big guns can offer consistency, they can’t offer the personalized customer experience that your company can offer. Personalize your customer interactions and customer service, and you’ll steadily gain customer loyalty.
Work on your online brand.
This is particularly vital if you run an eCommerce store, but it’s also important if you run a brick-and-mortar establishment. More and more people are not only purchasing online, but they’re also finding businesses and products online. Along with creating and maintaining a professional website, commit to growing your online brand by boosting your social media presence and getting positive reviews on Google, Facebook, and other prominent sites.
No, it’s not easy to run a successful small business today, but yes, you can do it. Use online resources to learn about eCommerce, and look to temporary staffing agencies if you need help running your warehouse. Also, find your niche, personalize your customer service, and continue to build your online brand. There will always be retail giants in the world, but you can make your company truly one-of-a-kind.
Image via Unsplash
- AUG. 2020 - New Car Tag to Support Alabama Small Business
- AUG. 2020 - Fairhope Walking School Bus Idling Until Sept. 1
- JUL. 2020 - CAP Releases RFP for Eco-Tourism
- JUL. 2020 - Baldwin County Probate Office Update
- JUL. 2020 - Public Notice Regarding Mandatory Mask Requirement for Circuit Courts in Baldwin County Courts
- JUL. 2020 - Jubilee Festival of Arts Unveils 2020 Festival Poster Artwork by Local Artist Ricky Trione
- JUL. 2020 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Launches New Tourism Website to Boost Exposure for Local Small Businesses
- JUN. 2020 - Prodisee Pantry Asking Families Seeking Food Tomorrow to Pre-plan Route and Extra Time DUE TO TRAFFIC & ROAD CLOSURES
- JUN. 2020 - Former Fortune 100 Business Leader John Manelos Announces Bid to Become Next Mayor of Fairhope, AL
- JUN. 2020 - Legends in Concert to ReOpen at OWA
- JUN. 2020 - BB&T/Truist PPP by the Numbers
- JUN. 2020 - SBA and Treasury Announce New EZ and Revised Full Forgiveness Applications for the Paycheck Protection Program
- JUN. 2020 - Baldwin County's May 2020 Housing Report
- MAY. 2020 - 2020 Legislative Session Recap
- MAY. 2020 - COVID-19 Emergency Relief: Guidelines for Payment of Outstanding Sales and Lodgings Tax Liability
- MAY. 2020 - SERVPRO Cleaning Specialist in Daphne Recommends Four Key Things to Look for as Businesses Reopen
- MAY. 2020 - Local Businesses Partner with Eastern Shore Chamber & Coastal Alabama Community College to Launch New IT Apprenticeship
- MAY. 2020 - Gov. Kay Ivey Amends Safer at Home Order
- APR. 2020 - Calling All Helping Hands
- APR. 2020 - Infirmary Health Launches Convalescent Plasma Donation Program to Treat Sickest COVID-19 Patients
- APR. 2020 - Local Nonprofits Need Our Help
- APR. 2020 - Guidelines: Opening Up America Again
- APR. 2020 - SAWDC Region 07 Job and Training Opportunities
- APR. 2020 - Baldwin County Covid-19 Impact Report
- APR. 2020 - Free Facebook Training During Lockdown
- APR. 2020 - Prodisee Pantry announces changes to Mass Emergency Food Distribution due to Highway 31 road construction
- APR. 2020 - PPP & EIDL Updates
- APR. 2020 - Bridge the Gap Bama
- APR. 2020 - How is COVD-19 Affecting Your Workforce
- APR. 2020 - Maritime Executive Named Director and Chief Executive of the Alabama State Port Authority
- APR. 2020 - PPE Resources For Businesses
- APR. 2020 - Costal Alabama Community College Division of Workforce Development launches online custom built industry curriculum to upskill workers amongst the COVID crisis.
- APR. 2020 - With $349 Billion in Emergency Small Business Capital Cleared, SBA and Treasury Begin Unprecedented Public-Private Mobilization Effort to Distribute Funds
- MAR. 2020 - Breaking Down the SBA Loan For Small Businesses
- MAR. 2020 - Diagnostic and Medical Clinic evaluating all symptomatic persons beginning Monday, March 30
- MAR. 2020 - Emergency Food Distribution at Prodisee Pantry
- MAR. 2020 - Alabama’s 20 Safest Cities of 2020
- MAR. 2020 - Baldwin County Residents Can Receive GED and Occupational Skills Training Online Through Coastal Alabama
- MAR. 2020 - News Release: USA Health Children’s & Women’s Hospital Forms New Partnership to Teach Community Classes
- MAR. 2020 - Remote Access and Best Practices
- MAR. 2020 - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources
- MAR. 2020 - 2020 Census to Make Big Difference for Alabama
- MAR. 2020 - Elsa Engeriser Named National Merit Finalist
- NOV. 2019 - Daphne High School to Host Career Fair
- OCT. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Workforce Development Director Graduates from U.S. Chamber Foundation Education & Workforce Fellowship Program
- SEP. 2019 - STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT ENCOURAGING ALL ALABAMIANS TO TAKE 10 MINUTES AND PARTICIPATE IN THE “TAKE 10 FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION” SURVEY
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 31st Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Sponsored Local High School Student to Participate in Economic and Community Development Program at Huntingdon College
- APR. 2019 - Baldwin County Named an ACT Work Ready Community
- MAR. 2019 - 2U Tire Named April Small Business of the Month
- JAN. 2019 - 2019 Baldwin County Career & Job Fair
- NOV. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Nominations
- NOV. 2018 - City of Fairhope Holds Visual Preference Survey Process to Gather Feedback for Future Development
- NOV. 2018 - Hatch Fairhope Announces Grand Opening
- OCT. 2018 - YOUTH LEADERSHIP BLOG: History & Geography Day
- SEP. 2018 - Alliance Publishing Group Named Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Month
- JUL. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 30th Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Wins Communications Excellence Award for Eastern Shore Elf Campaign
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Publishes Updated Election Guide for Primary Runoff Races
- MAY. 2018 - 2018 Primary Election Guide
- MAY. 2018 - Old Tyme Feed: May Small Business of the Month
- MAR. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Winners
- JAN. 2018 - A New Year: Where We've Been & Where We're Going
- SEP. 2017 - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Parts Ways with the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival Foundation
- DEC. 2016 - Fairhope Music Opens New Location
- DEC. 2016 - Brandy Rhodes Coaching Now Open in Fairhope
- NOV. 2016 - Congressman Bradley Byrne Addresses Business Community Following the Presidential Election
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber to Offer Leadership Workshop for Members
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber Young Professionals to Host a Cornhole Tournament to Benefit the Spanish Fort Public Library
- JUL. 2016 - The Eastern Shore Guide to the 4th of July
- MAY. 2016 - May Newsletter
- APR. 2016 - Fairhope Resident Named SCORE Mentor of the Year
- APR. 2016 - The April 2016 Newsletter
- MAR. 2016 - Ribbon Cut for AltaWorx
- MAR. 2016 - Spring 2016 Youth Leadership Applications
- FEB. 2016 - Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and Baldwin County Chambers of Commerce Host 16th Annual Job Fair
- FEB. 2016 - Specialized Therapy Services Opens in Fairhope
- FEB. 2016 - ESCoC Governmental Affairs Survey Results
- SEP. 2015 - Joe Hudson’s Collision Center
- SEP. 2015 - BenchMark Physical Therapy
- SEP. 2015 - Sage Lebanese Cuisine & Café
- SEP. 2015 - Shux on the Pier
- SEP. 2015 - Tourism Executive Of The Year Award
- SEP. 2015 - The 27th Anniversary Jubilee Festival
- SEP. 2015 - Youth Leadership 14th Annual Seven-Month Program
- JUL. 2015 - January 2015 Morning Marketing Release
- APR. 2015 - Eastern Shore Magazine 2015
- FEB. 2015 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER HONORS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD WINNER Tree Planted at Christ the King School
- SEP. 2014 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program Applications Available - Forty Students to be Selected to Participate in Class of 2015
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES June 10 TOPIC: “Economic Update for Baldwin County”
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER TO HOLD CANDIDATES FORUM - For Baldwin County Commissioner Candidates
- Jun. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Candidates Forum
- Apr. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Celebrate the Arts
- Mar. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Mar. 2014 - 30th Prayer Breakfast
- Mar. 2014 - Leadership Applications
- Mar. 2014 - Council Lucheon
- Feb. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Jan. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Nov. 2013 - Eggs N' Issues - Onespot
- Oct. 2013 - Student Art Competition
- Oct. 2013 - E.S.C. Seeks Local Artists
- Oct. 2013 - Candidate Forum Release
- Oct. 2013 - What's Going On in AL Legislature
- Jul.2013 - Mardi Gras Schedule - 2014