WHITE-SPUNNER CONSTRUCTION, INC. WINS $4.2 MILLION BID TO EXPAND THE BIRTH CENTER AT THOMAS HOSPITAL IN FAIRHOPE, AL
MOBILE, Ala. (September 29, 2016) -- White-Spunner Construction Inc. (WSC) a leading contractor in the Southeast and ranked 19th largest general contractor in Alabama in 2015 by Business Alabama, recently won a competitive bid to expand The Birth Center at Thomas Hospital in Fairhope.
The $4.2 million construction project will increase the size of the hospital’s birth center from 18,000 square feet to more than 29,000 square feet. Upon completion, the center will feature seven rooms for labor, delivery and recovery and 15 postpartum rooms. The fourth-floor expansion and renovation also will add a second operating room, enlarging the nursery, updating several nurse stations, as well as family gathering areas, a staff lounge, professional offices and other support rooms.
"More than 1,200 babies a year are being delivered at Thomas Hospital in a unit that is reaching capacity," said Ormand Thompson, president of Thomas Hospital.
"White-Spunner’s reputation is unparalleled in our area," Thompson said. "They are invested in this community. We are confident they will do an outstanding job and provide the type of facility designed to exceed our patients’ expectations.”
With a long history of bringing in health care projects on time and in budget, WSC has successfully completed dozens of projects for hospitals, state laboratories and private physicians in Alabama and Mississippi. In fact, the collaboration with Infirmary Health spans more than two decades.
Craig E. Blackburn, a senior project manager at WSC, said he’s looking forward to making The Birth Center at Thomas Hospital ready to meet the needs of a growing population on the Eastern Shore.
"It's great to be able to work with the hospital again," Blackburn said. "When you are dealing with something as crucial as health care, it's exciting to have the opportunity to deliver a state-of-the-art setting for families going through such a special time of life. We feel honored to have been chosen for this project."
Baldwin County remains one of the fastest-growing counties in the nation with no slowdown expected to the population boom it has been experiencing for more than a decade. Because of that, the Thomas Hospital Foundation and local community have been working on a capital campaign and has successfully raised $6 million out of the total project price of $9.5 million to fund The Birth Center expansion. The Fairhope Single Tax Corporation recently made over a pledge to contribute over a million dollars to the effort.
"The residents of our community depend on Thomas Hospital and need the Birth Center to grow as the population increases,” said Lee Turner, President of the Fairhope Single Tax Corporation. "The Fairhope Single Tax Corporation wants to support our community by helping Thomas Hospital grow.”
The architectural firm selected for the Thomas Hospital expansion is Evan Terry Associates, LLC. Neil King is the project architect. The Birth Center Project is set to be completed in May 2017.
- OCT. 2018 - YOUTH LEADERSHIP BLOG: History & Geography Day
- JUL. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 30th Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Wins Communications Excellence Award for Eastern Shore Elf Campaign
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Publishes Updated Election Guide for Primary Runoff Races
- MAY. 2018 - 2018 Primary Election Guide
- MAY. 2018 - Old Tyme Feed: May Small Business of the Month
- MAR. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Winners
- JAN. 2018 - A New Year: Where We've Been & Where We're Going
- SEP. 2017 - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Parts Ways with the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival Foundation
- DEC. 2016 - Fairhope Music Opens New Location
- DEC. 2016 - Brandy Rhodes Coaching Now Open in Fairhope
- NOV. 2016 - Congressman Bradley Byrne Addresses Business Community Following the Presidential Election
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber to Offer Leadership Workshop for Members
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber Young Professionals to Host a Cornhole Tournament to Benefit the Spanish Fort Public Library
- JUL. 2016 - The Eastern Shore Guide to the 4th of July
- MAY. 2016 - May Newsletter
- APR. 2016 - Fairhope Resident Named SCORE Mentor of the Year
- APR. 2016 - The April 2016 Newsletter
- MAR. 2016 - Ribbon Cut for AltaWorx
- MAR. 2016 - Spring 2016 Youth Leadership Applications
- FEB. 2016 - Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and Baldwin County Chambers of Commerce Host 16th Annual Job Fair
- FEB. 2016 - Specialized Therapy Services Opens in Fairhope
- FEB. 2016 - ESCoC Governmental Affairs Survey Results
- SEP. 2015 - Joe Hudson’s Collision Center
- SEP. 2015 - BenchMark Physical Therapy
- SEP. 2015 - Sage Lebanese Cuisine & Café
- SEP. 2015 - Shux on the Pier
- SEP. 2015 - Tourism Executive Of The Year Award
- SEP. 2015 - The 27th Anniversary Jubilee Festival
- SEP. 2015 - Youth Leadership 14th Annual Seven-Month Program
- JUL. 2015 - January 2015 Morning Marketing Release
- APR. 2015 - Eastern Shore Magazine 2015
- FEB. 2015 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER HONORS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD WINNER Tree Planted at Christ the King School
- SEP. 2014 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program Applications Available - Forty Students to be Selected to Participate in Class of 2015
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES June 10 TOPIC: “Economic Update for Baldwin County”
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER TO HOLD CANDIDATES FORUM - For Baldwin County Commissioner Candidates
- Jun. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Candidates Forum
- Apr. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Celebrate the Arts
- Mar. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Mar. 2014 - 30th Prayer Breakfast
- Mar. 2014 - Leadership Applications
- Mar. 2014 - Council Lucheon
- Feb. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Jan. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Nov. 2013 - Eggs N' Issues - Onespot
- Oct. 2013 - Student Art Competition
- Oct. 2013 - E.S.C. Seeks Local Artists
- Oct. 2013 - Candidate Forum Release
- Oct. 2013 - What's Going On in AL Legislature
- Jul.2013 - Mardi Gras Schedule - 2014