University of Mobile Names Chris McCaghren, Ed.D., as Vice President of Academic Affairs
MOBILE, Ala. – University of Mobile has named Alabama native and former Samford University administrator Christopher McCaghren, Ed.D., as vice president of academic affairs.
Currently, McCaghren is dean of the College of Education at Anderson University in South Carolina, where he served with then-provost Dr. Tim Smith. In April, Smith was appointed president of University of Mobile after a nationwide search. Previously, McCaghren was assistant to the president for external programs at Samford University in Alabama, where he was mentored by Samford President Dr. Andrew Westmoreland.
"Christian higher education is truly my passion,” said McCaghren, adding that "it stands in a unique crossroads between ministry and the world.”
McCaghren will start his new position July 18. He will lead UM’s academic programs, including areas such as the library, adult and graduate studies, academic support and the registrar’s office.
He succeeds Dr. Audrey Eubanks, who has served at UM for 34 years, including 27 years in administration. In recognition of her dedicated and effective service, the Board of Trustees named her vice president for academic affairs – emeritus. Effective July 18, she will join the faculty as professor in the School of Education. She started at the university in 1982 as assistant professor of education, becoming professor in 1991. During her tenure, she served as dean of the School of Education, director of graduate programs, vice president for administration, and, since 2002, as vice president for academic affairs and chief academic officer, and first vice president for University of Mobile Corp.
UM President Smith said, "Dr. Chris McCaghren is one of the premier academic leaders of Alabama Baptist higher education, and University of Mobile is grateful to have him join our team as vice president of academic affairs. His solid academic preparation, prior relationships throughout Southern Baptist life in Alabama, and his unique academic experiences as an educator and administrator will serve to foster the ongoing growth of University of Mobile.”
Dr. Andrew Westmoreland, president of Samford University, also praised McCaghren.
"Dr. McCaghren's varied background and experience will effectively serve the interests of University of Mobile in his new role as vice president for academic affairs. I have known him for a decade, first as an exceptionally bright student, then as an inspired, tireless administrator, and always as a friend. It is an honor to welcome him back to Alabama to serve alongside our colleagues at University of Mobile," Westmoreland said.
McCaghren described his approach to academics as "education innovation.”
"I adopt a steady entrepreneurial spirit that is defined by a mentality of measurable outcomes and data-driven improvement. I also have a great respect for the tradition and collaborative outlook that is typical of a collegial environment. Bringing those two aspects of higher education together is really where I find my greatest passion,” he said.
McCaghren said new program development is a top priority, with a goal "to continue to position University of Mobile as an academically rigorous and Christ-centered institution of higher education, not only in the state of Alabama, but in the Southeast; and to ensure that we are equipping our students to go about their academic disciplines with a focus on ministry wherever they might be, and sending those students out into a world that certainly needs that perspective.”
A native of Montgomery, Alabama, McCaghren holds a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in communication studies and classics from Samford University, a Master of Theological Studies (M.T.S.) from Beeson Divinity School, and a Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) in higher education leadership and policy from Vanderbilt University.
He began his career in higher education working in advancement for Samford University before serving as special assistant to Congressman Spencer Bachus in Washington, D.C. Prior to being called as dean of the College of Education at Anderson University, he served as assistant to the president for external programs and division head for the Division of Professional and Continuing Studies at Samford University.
He is married to Lauren McCaghren, and they have a 14-month-old daughter, Callen.
About University of Mobile:
University of Mobile is a Christ-centered liberal arts and sciences institution with a vision of higher education for a higher purpose, founded to honor God by equipping students for their future professions through rigorous academic preparation and spiritual transformation. Founded in 1961, University of Mobile is affiliated with the Alabama Baptist State Convention. The university offers on-campus and online bachelor’s and master’s degree programs in over 40 areas of study, with an 880-acre campus located 10 miles north of Mobile, Alabama.
For more information about University of Mobile, visit the website at www.umobile.edu or call Enrollment Services at 1.800.WIN.RAMS or 251.442.2222.
- NOV. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Nominations
- NOV. 2018 - City of Fairhope Holds Visual Preference Survey Process to Gather Feedback for Future Development
- NOV. 2018 - Hatch Fairhope Announces Grand Opening
- OCT. 2018 - YOUTH LEADERSHIP BLOG: History & Geography Day
- SEP. 2018 - Alliance Publishing Group Named Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Month
- JUL. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 30th Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Wins Communications Excellence Award for Eastern Shore Elf Campaign
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Publishes Updated Election Guide for Primary Runoff Races
- MAY. 2018 - 2018 Primary Election Guide
- MAY. 2018 - Old Tyme Feed: May Small Business of the Month
- MAR. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Winners
- JAN. 2018 - A New Year: Where We've Been & Where We're Going
- SEP. 2017 - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Parts Ways with the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival Foundation
- DEC. 2016 - Fairhope Music Opens New Location
- DEC. 2016 - Brandy Rhodes Coaching Now Open in Fairhope
- NOV. 2016 - Congressman Bradley Byrne Addresses Business Community Following the Presidential Election
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber to Offer Leadership Workshop for Members
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber Young Professionals to Host a Cornhole Tournament to Benefit the Spanish Fort Public Library
- JUL. 2016 - The Eastern Shore Guide to the 4th of July
- MAY. 2016 - May Newsletter
- APR. 2016 - Fairhope Resident Named SCORE Mentor of the Year
- APR. 2016 - The April 2016 Newsletter
- MAR. 2016 - Ribbon Cut for AltaWorx
- MAR. 2016 - Spring 2016 Youth Leadership Applications
- FEB. 2016 - Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and Baldwin County Chambers of Commerce Host 16th Annual Job Fair
- FEB. 2016 - Specialized Therapy Services Opens in Fairhope
- FEB. 2016 - ESCoC Governmental Affairs Survey Results
- SEP. 2015 - Joe Hudson’s Collision Center
- SEP. 2015 - BenchMark Physical Therapy
- SEP. 2015 - Sage Lebanese Cuisine & Café
- SEP. 2015 - Shux on the Pier
- SEP. 2015 - Tourism Executive Of The Year Award
- SEP. 2015 - The 27th Anniversary Jubilee Festival
- SEP. 2015 - Youth Leadership 14th Annual Seven-Month Program
- JUL. 2015 - January 2015 Morning Marketing Release
- APR. 2015 - Eastern Shore Magazine 2015
- FEB. 2015 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER HONORS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD WINNER Tree Planted at Christ the King School
- SEP. 2014 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program Applications Available - Forty Students to be Selected to Participate in Class of 2015
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES June 10 TOPIC: “Economic Update for Baldwin County”
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER TO HOLD CANDIDATES FORUM - For Baldwin County Commissioner Candidates
- Jun. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Candidates Forum
- Apr. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Celebrate the Arts
- Mar. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Mar. 2014 - 30th Prayer Breakfast
- Mar. 2014 - Leadership Applications
- Mar. 2014 - Council Lucheon
- Feb. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Jan. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Nov. 2013 - Eggs N' Issues - Onespot
- Oct. 2013 - Student Art Competition
- Oct. 2013 - E.S.C. Seeks Local Artists
- Oct. 2013 - Candidate Forum Release
- Oct. 2013 - What's Going On in AL Legislature
- Jul.2013 - Mardi Gras Schedule - 2014