United States Sports Academy Holds 33rd Annual Awards of Sport Program
DAPHNE, Ala. – The United States Sports Academy recently held its 33rd Annual Awards of Sport program, a celebration of sport and art and "A Tribute to the Artist and the Athlete.”
The Academy’s Awards of Sport honor those who have made significant contributions to sport in categories as diverse as the artist and the athlete. The awards honor exemplary achievement in coaching, all-around athletic performance, courage, humanitarian activity, fitness, and media, among others. The Academy’s American Sport Art Museum and Archives (ASAMA) annually recognizes these men and women through its Sport Artist of the Year, Honorary Doctorates, Medallion Series, Distinguished Service Awards, Outstanding Athletes and Alumni of the Year awards.
A highlight of the event held on the Academy’s Daphne campus was the unveiling and donation to ASAMA’s permanent art collection works by the Academy’s 2017 Sport Artists of the Year: sculptor Richard Watkins of Atlanta, Ga., and painter William Williams of Battle Creek, Mich.
Watkins’ award-winning sculptures are known for capturing the energy, dynamics and balance of amazing athletes at that single moment of intense action: the slam dunk, the long pass into the end zone, the double play. He exaggerates the physical proportions to an extreme, giving them incredible action and an engaging quality. His donation, a basketball piece entitled "Slam Dunk,” is now on display at ASAMA.
Williams is nationally known for his classical artistic approach to representing the glory of sports through his realistic still life oil paintings. His work is in the permanent collections of the National Baseball Hall of Fame, the College Football Hall of Fame, the Commissioner of the National Basketball Association, the New York Yankees, and many others. His donation now on display at ASAMA is a still life entitled "Satchel’s Monarchs” which depicts artifacts related to legendary baseball player Satchel Paige.
A show featuring works from both artists is now on display at ASAMA in the Dr. Thomas P. Rosandich Gallery, which is named after the Academy’s Founding President.
Among other key honors at the event, Dr. Dave Shrock was named the Academy’s Alumnus of the Year. A national leader in track and field and an Academy National Faculty member, Shrock earned a Doctor of Education degree in Sports Management from the Academy in 2009. He has taught sports marketing and sports leadership for the Academy’s international sport education programs in Thailand, Bahrain and the United Arab Emirates.
A resident of Modesto, Calif., Shrock serves in numerous USA Track and Field (USATF) leadership roles including president of the nation’s largest association, the Pacific Association; Coaching Committee chair; and as chair of the National Associations Committee. In 2017 the USATF presented him the McGill Legacy Coaching Award in recognition of his "passion and leadership nationally for the promotion of USATF coaching education.” Shrock has more than 40 years of track and field coaching experience, including 20 years as a college coach. His association work includes oversight of several national championships and hosting Olympic trials.
"I accept this award on behalf of the alumni of the United States Sports Academy because we are the ones who utilize the knowledge, passion and experience gained from this great institution to continue to work for the betterment of sport,” Shrock said.
Also in attendance was the winner of the Dr. Ernst Jokl Sports Medicine Award, Dr. Kenneth Cameron, who is director of Orthopaedic Research at Keller Army Community Hospital in West Point, N.Y. Cameron’s primary research interests are in the areas of injury prevention, musculoskeletal injury and disease epidemiology, and outcomes associated with the treatment of these injuries, specifically in physically active and military populations.
Receiving the Dwight David Eisenhower Fitness Award at the event was master personal trainer Fairfax Hackley, who won 12 class titles in bodybuilding and later served as a judge and as director of the Mr. America contest. He spent more than 20 years in the sport, winning the International Federation of Body Building and Fitness (IFBB) Silver and Gold Awards for Excellence in Administration. He has trained numerous celebrities and athletes, including boxers and mixed martial arts (MMA) fighters. He has worked closely with the Arnold (Schwarzenegger) Sports Festival in Columbus, Ohio. The resident of Falls Church, Va., is a member of the International Sports Hall of Fame, serving on its advisory board.
Here is a complete list of the 2017 Academy’s Awards of Sport honorees:
International Honorary Doctorate: His Excellency Ali Ben Bongo Ondimba, President, Republic of Gabon.
National Honorary Doctorate: Sunil Gulati, President, U.S. Soccer Federation.
Sport Artist of the Year, Painter: William Williams, Battle Creek, Mich.
Sport Artist of the Year, Sculptor: Richard Watkins, Atlanta, Ga.
Alumnus of the Year: Dr. Dave Shrock (Ed.D, Sports Management, 2009), USA Track & Field leader and Academy National Faculty member.
Eagle Award: Dr.René Fasel, D.M.D., President, International Ice Hockey Federation; International Olympic Committee Executive Board and Chair of the Association of International Olympic Sports Federations.
Amos Alonzo Stagg Coaching Award: Mike Holloway, Head Track and Field Coach, University of Florida.
Carl Maddox Sports Management Award: Don Garber, Commissioner, Major League Soccer, and CEO, Soccer United Marketing.
C. Vivian Stringer Coaching Award: Patty Gasso, Head Softball Coach, the University of Oklahoma.
Dr. Ernst Jokl Sports Medicine Award: Dr. Kenneth Cameron, Director of Orthopaedic Research, Keller Army Community Hospital in West Point, N.Y.
Dwight D. Eisenhower Fitness Award: Fairfax Hackley, Master Personal Trainer and bodybuilder.
Jackie Robinson Humanitarian Award: Justin James "J.J.” Watt, National Football League player and leader of Hurricane Harvey relief effort.
Jim Thorpe All-Around Athlete Award: Nafissatou Thiam, World Champion heptathlete, Belgium.
Juan Antonio Samaranch IOC Disabled Athlete Award: Oksana Masters, Paralympic Cyclist and World Para Nordic Skiing Champion.
Mildred "Babe” Didrikson Zaharias Courage Award: Anthony Rizzo, Major League Baseball player, cancer survivor, and founder of the Anthony Rizzo Family Foundation.
Ronald Reagan Media Award: Dave Finocchio, founder, former CEO and Chief Content Officer of The Bleacher Report.
Theodore Roosevelt Meritorious Achievement Award: Jon Runyan, former NFL player, former U.S. Congressman, and current Vice President of Policy and Rules Administration for the NFL.
The Academy’s Male and Female Athletes of the Year will be selected in January with the input of international online balloting.
To view a video of the complete 2017 Awards of Sport program, go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAknCmzB29k.
- SEP. 2020 - Eastern Shore Chamber Announces New Dates for Mayoral Runoff Debates in Daphne and Spanish Fort
- SEP. 2020 - Hurricane Resource Guide
- SEP. 2020 - Prodisee Pantry to Hold Mass Emergency Food Distribution Tomorrow in Response to Hurricane Sally
- AUG. 2020 - BALDWIN TOGETHER - Cooperative Partnerships Working Together Supporting Baldwin County Residents Impacted by COVID-19
- AUG. 2020 - Your Employee is in Jail SCAM Happening Locally
- AUG. 2020 - New Car Tag to Support Alabama Small Business
- AUG. 2020 - Fairhope Walking School Bus Idling Until Sept. 1
- JUL. 2020 - CAP Releases RFP for Eco-Tourism
- JUL. 2020 - Baldwin County Probate Office Update
- JUL. 2020 - Public Notice Regarding Mandatory Mask Requirement for Circuit Courts in Baldwin County Courts
- JUL. 2020 - Jubilee Festival of Arts Unveils 2020 Festival Poster Artwork by Local Artist Ricky Trione
- JUL. 2020 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Launches New Tourism Website to Boost Exposure for Local Small Businesses
- JUN. 2020 - Prodisee Pantry Asking Families Seeking Food Tomorrow to Pre-plan Route and Extra Time DUE TO TRAFFIC & ROAD CLOSURES
- JUN. 2020 - Former Fortune 100 Business Leader John Manelos Announces Bid to Become Next Mayor of Fairhope, AL
- JUN. 2020 - Legends in Concert to ReOpen at OWA
- JUN. 2020 - BB&T/Truist PPP by the Numbers
- JUN. 2020 - SBA and Treasury Announce New EZ and Revised Full Forgiveness Applications for the Paycheck Protection Program
- JUN. 2020 - Baldwin County's May 2020 Housing Report
- MAY. 2020 - 2020 Legislative Session Recap
- MAY. 2020 - COVID-19 Emergency Relief: Guidelines for Payment of Outstanding Sales and Lodgings Tax Liability
- MAY. 2020 - SERVPRO Cleaning Specialist in Daphne Recommends Four Key Things to Look for as Businesses Reopen
- MAY. 2020 - Local Businesses Partner with Eastern Shore Chamber & Coastal Alabama Community College to Launch New IT Apprenticeship
- MAY. 2020 - Gov. Kay Ivey Amends Safer at Home Order
- APR. 2020 - Calling All Helping Hands
- APR. 2020 - Infirmary Health Launches Convalescent Plasma Donation Program to Treat Sickest COVID-19 Patients
- APR. 2020 - Local Nonprofits Need Our Help
- APR. 2020 - Guidelines: Opening Up America Again
- APR. 2020 - SAWDC Region 07 Job and Training Opportunities
- APR. 2020 - Baldwin County Covid-19 Impact Report
- APR. 2020 - Free Facebook Training During Lockdown
- APR. 2020 - Prodisee Pantry announces changes to Mass Emergency Food Distribution due to Highway 31 road construction
- APR. 2020 - PPP & EIDL Updates
- APR. 2020 - Bridge the Gap Bama
- APR. 2020 - How is COVD-19 Affecting Your Workforce
- APR. 2020 - Maritime Executive Named Director and Chief Executive of the Alabama State Port Authority
- APR. 2020 - PPE Resources For Businesses
- APR. 2020 - Costal Alabama Community College Division of Workforce Development launches online custom built industry curriculum to upskill workers amongst the COVID crisis.
- APR. 2020 - With $349 Billion in Emergency Small Business Capital Cleared, SBA and Treasury Begin Unprecedented Public-Private Mobilization Effort to Distribute Funds
- MAR. 2020 - Breaking Down the SBA Loan For Small Businesses
- MAR. 2020 - Diagnostic and Medical Clinic evaluating all symptomatic persons beginning Monday, March 30
- MAR. 2020 - Emergency Food Distribution at Prodisee Pantry
- MAR. 2020 - Alabama’s 20 Safest Cities of 2020
- MAR. 2020 - Baldwin County Residents Can Receive GED and Occupational Skills Training Online Through Coastal Alabama
- MAR. 2020 - News Release: USA Health Children’s & Women’s Hospital Forms New Partnership to Teach Community Classes
- MAR. 2020 - Remote Access and Best Practices
- MAR. 2020 - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources
- MAR. 2020 - 2020 Census to Make Big Difference for Alabama
- MAR. 2020 - Elsa Engeriser Named National Merit Finalist
- NOV. 2019 - Daphne High School to Host Career Fair
- OCT. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Workforce Development Director Graduates from U.S. Chamber Foundation Education & Workforce Fellowship Program
- SEP. 2019 - STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT ENCOURAGING ALL ALABAMIANS TO TAKE 10 MINUTES AND PARTICIPATE IN THE “TAKE 10 FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION” SURVEY
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 31st Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Sponsored Local High School Student to Participate in Economic and Community Development Program at Huntingdon College
- APR. 2019 - Baldwin County Named an ACT Work Ready Community
- MAR. 2019 - 2U Tire Named April Small Business of the Month
- JAN. 2019 - 2019 Baldwin County Career & Job Fair
- NOV. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Nominations
- NOV. 2018 - City of Fairhope Holds Visual Preference Survey Process to Gather Feedback for Future Development
- NOV. 2018 - Hatch Fairhope Announces Grand Opening
- OCT. 2018 - YOUTH LEADERSHIP BLOG: History & Geography Day
- SEP. 2018 - Alliance Publishing Group Named Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Month
- JUL. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 30th Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Wins Communications Excellence Award for Eastern Shore Elf Campaign
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Publishes Updated Election Guide for Primary Runoff Races
- MAY. 2018 - 2018 Primary Election Guide
- MAY. 2018 - Old Tyme Feed: May Small Business of the Month
- MAR. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Winners
- JAN. 2018 - A New Year: Where We've Been & Where We're Going
- SEP. 2017 - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Parts Ways with the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival Foundation
- DEC. 2016 - Fairhope Music Opens New Location
- DEC. 2016 - Brandy Rhodes Coaching Now Open in Fairhope
- NOV. 2016 - Congressman Bradley Byrne Addresses Business Community Following the Presidential Election
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber to Offer Leadership Workshop for Members
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber Young Professionals to Host a Cornhole Tournament to Benefit the Spanish Fort Public Library
- JUL. 2016 - The Eastern Shore Guide to the 4th of July
- MAY. 2016 - May Newsletter
- APR. 2016 - Fairhope Resident Named SCORE Mentor of the Year
- APR. 2016 - The April 2016 Newsletter
- MAR. 2016 - Ribbon Cut for AltaWorx
- MAR. 2016 - Spring 2016 Youth Leadership Applications
- FEB. 2016 - Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and Baldwin County Chambers of Commerce Host 16th Annual Job Fair
- FEB. 2016 - Specialized Therapy Services Opens in Fairhope
- FEB. 2016 - ESCoC Governmental Affairs Survey Results
- SEP. 2015 - Joe Hudson’s Collision Center
- SEP. 2015 - BenchMark Physical Therapy
- SEP. 2015 - Sage Lebanese Cuisine & Café
- SEP. 2015 - Shux on the Pier
- SEP. 2015 - Tourism Executive Of The Year Award
- SEP. 2015 - The 27th Anniversary Jubilee Festival
- SEP. 2015 - Youth Leadership 14th Annual Seven-Month Program
- JUL. 2015 - January 2015 Morning Marketing Release
- APR. 2015 - Eastern Shore Magazine 2015
- FEB. 2015 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER HONORS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD WINNER Tree Planted at Christ the King School
- SEP. 2014 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program Applications Available - Forty Students to be Selected to Participate in Class of 2015
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES June 10 TOPIC: “Economic Update for Baldwin County”
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER TO HOLD CANDIDATES FORUM - For Baldwin County Commissioner Candidates
- Jun. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Candidates Forum
- Apr. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Celebrate the Arts
- Mar. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Mar. 2014 - 30th Prayer Breakfast
- Mar. 2014 - Leadership Applications
- Mar. 2014 - Council Lucheon
- Feb. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Jan. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Nov. 2013 - Eggs N' Issues - Onespot
- Oct. 2013 - Student Art Competition
- Oct. 2013 - E.S.C. Seeks Local Artists
- Oct. 2013 - Candidate Forum Release
- Oct. 2013 - What's Going On in AL Legislature
- Jul.2013 - Mardi Gras Schedule - 2014