Job Title: Communications Intern
Organization: Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce
Reports To: Denise Curtis, Communications Director
Internship Date: Summer Semester
Application Deadline: May 15, 2019
Communications Intern Job Description
About the Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce:
The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce serves the Daphne, Fairhope and Spanish Fort businesses community. It’s our mission to make the Eastern Shore the best place to live, work and cultivate business. Our core values include promoting business, building community relationships, advancing tourism and advocating for workforce development. The Chamber enables businesses to accomplish collectively what each of us cannot do individually.
Operated by a staff of six and a team of volunteers, the Eastern Shore Chamber represent more than 1,000 members. Our office is located in downtown Fairhope at 327 Fairhope Avenue, Fairhope, Alabama.
The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Intern will primarily assist the Communications office with public relations and marketing. It’s the Chamber’s goal to help interns gain confidence in their public relations skills in a fast-paced, hands-on environment. Interns will get a broad range of experience from event planning, to media relations and graphic design. Chamber interns are also open to numerous networking opportunities with local business leaders. Duties might include any of the following responsibilities, as well as other, unlisted duties.
Responsibilities & Learning Opportunities:
· Hone writing skills by developing, writing and distributing approved press releases.
· Master networking by meeting local professionals at Chamber functions.
· Gain experience with email marketing clients by building out weekly and event-specific email blasts.
· Test event marketing strategies with a wide array of recurring & special events.
· Learn basic design skills by assisting with the production & maintenance of in-house information pieces.
· Make community connections while assisting to plan and execute community-wide projects and events.
· Gain hands-on experience managing a professional social media presence across multiple platforms.
· Work with local businesses to maintain Chamber’s blog celebrating member achievements.
· Assist with proofing written materials for style and grammar.
General Office Responsibilities:
· Assist with answering phones when needed
· Greet guests at the front desk as needed
· Run errands as needed - compensation for mileage applicable
Intern Requirements & Qualifications:
· Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in public relations, marketing, communications or related field
· Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint and Excel)
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills
· Graphic Design skills are a plus
· Energetic and eager to tackle new projects and ideas
Please send a cover letter, resume and references to Communications Director Denise Curtis email@example.com by Wednesday, May 15, 2019.