Public Invited as Academy’s American Sport Art Museum and Archives to Receive Iranian Wrestler Sculpture
DAPHNE, Ala. – The public is invited when the North American Iranian Friendship Society (NAIFS) presents the United States Sports Academy’s American Sport Art Museum & Archives (ASAMA) with a bronze sculpture of the late legendary Iranian wrestler and national hero Jahan Pahlavan Takhti.
The presentation is set for Tuesday, 3 October 2017, at 6 p.m. at ASAMA, located at One Academy Drive in Daphne. Refreshments will be served.
Created by sculptor Dr. Alireza Khaghani of Tehran, the three-foot, 110-pound statue depicts the Olympic and World Champion wrestler from the waist up giving a wave of salutation and celebration.
The wrestler’s given name was Gholamreza Takhti, but he was popularly called "Jahan Pahlavan,” which means "World Champion.” The Iranian people gave him this name for his success in wrestling and his chivalrous behavior and sportsmanship during competition. The Tehran native was known throughout his home country not only for his athletic accomplishments, but for being a hero of common people and for supporting the poor and downtrodden.
Born in 1930, Takhti won his first Iranian championship in 1950, and went on to become thehighest ranked wrestler in the history of Iranian wrestling. He won one gold (1956 Melbourne) and two silver medals (1952 Helsinki, 1960 Rome) in Olympic Games, as well as two gold (1959 Tehran, 1961 Yokohama) and two silver medals (1951 Helsinki, 1962 Toledo) in World Championships. He is in the United World Wrestling (formerly FILA) Hall of Fame. He competed in multiple weight classes throughout his career.
Takhti died in 1968 at the age of 37 but remains one of Iran’s greatest sports legends and a beloved national figure.
"The United States Sports Academy and the American Sport Art Museum & Archives are especially appreciative of the North American Iranian Friendship Society for making this gift to our sport art collection for the permanent enjoyment of our museum visitors,” said Academy President and CEO Dr. T.J. Rosandich.
"The Academy, a world renowned leader in sport education, hosted a significant cultural exchange with the Iranian Body Building group in 2016, bringing the group to campus for an advanced body building program. The group was so taken with ASAMA that the leader of the delegation expressed an interest in having Iran represented in ASAMA’s permanent art collection, another example of the indelible connection between sport and art.
"We were pleased that as the students departed, they remembered their promise, which led to the creation of this excellent work of art, which represents a significant cultural exchange between our two countries.
"We welcome and encourage everyone to come out and enjoy this and the many other examples of sport art found throughout the museum.”
"I have no doubt in my mind that this is great news for the people of Iran and the United States and will bring the people of the countries closer together,” said Vahid Abiden, founder and CEO of the society, which has offices in Tehran and New York City.
Founded in 1984, ASAMA is dedicated to the preservation of sports art, history, and literature. The ASAMA collection is composed of more than 1,800 works of sport art across a variety of media, including paintings, sculptures, assemblages, prints and photographs. The museum is open free to the public from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays. For more information, go towww.asama.org.
The United States Sports Academy is an independent, non-profit, accredited, special mission sports university created to serve the nation and world with programs in instruction, research and service. The role of the Academy is to prepare men and women for careers in the profession of sports.
The Academy is based in Daphne, Ala. For more information, call (251) 626-3303 or visitwww.ussa.edu.
- JUN. 2020 - Prodisee Pantry Asking Families Seeking Food Tomorrow to Pre-plan Route and Extra Time DUE TO TRAFFIC & ROAD CLOSURES
- JUN. 2020 - Former Fortune 100 Business Leader John Manelos Announces Bid to Become Next Mayor of Fairhope, AL
- JUN. 2020 - Legends in Concert to ReOpen at OWA
- JUN. 2020 - BB&T/Truist PPP by the Numbers
- JUN. 2020 - SBA and Treasury Announce New EZ and Revised Full Forgiveness Applications for the Paycheck Protection Program
- JUN. 2020 - Baldwin County's May 2020 Housing Report
- MAY. 2020 - 2020 Legislative Session Recap
- MAY. 2020 - COVID-19 Emergency Relief: Guidelines for Payment of Outstanding Sales and Lodgings Tax Liability
- MAY. 2020 - SERVPRO Cleaning Specialist in Daphne Recommends Four Key Things to Look for as Businesses Reopen
- MAY. 2020 - Local Businesses Partner with Eastern Shore Chamber & Coastal Alabama Community College to Launch New IT Apprenticeship
- MAY. 2020 - Gov. Kay Ivey Amends Safer at Home Order
- APR. 2020 - Calling All Helping Hands
- APR. 2020 - Infirmary Health Launches Convalescent Plasma Donation Program to Treat Sickest COVID-19 Patients
- APR. 2020 - Local Nonprofits Need Our Help
- APR. 2020 - Guidelines: Opening Up America Again
- APR. 2020 - SAWDC Region 07 Job and Training Opportunities
- APR. 2020 - Baldwin County Covid-19 Impact Report
- APR. 2020 - Free Facebook Training During Lockdown
- APR. 2020 - Prodisee Pantry announces changes to Mass Emergency Food Distribution due to Highway 31 road construction
- APR. 2020 - PPP & EIDL Updates
- APR. 2020 - Bridge the Gap Bama
- APR. 2020 - How is COVD-19 Affecting Your Workforce
- APR. 2020 - Maritime Executive Named Director and Chief Executive of the Alabama State Port Authority
- APR. 2020 - PPE Resources For Businesses
- APR. 2020 - Costal Alabama Community College Division of Workforce Development launches online custom built industry curriculum to upskill workers amongst the COVID crisis.
- APR. 2020 - With $349 Billion in Emergency Small Business Capital Cleared, SBA and Treasury Begin Unprecedented Public-Private Mobilization Effort to Distribute Funds
- MAR. 2020 - Breaking Down the SBA Loan For Small Businesses
- MAR. 2020 - Diagnostic and Medical Clinic evaluating all symptomatic persons beginning Monday, March 30
- MAR. 2020 - Emergency Food Distribution at Prodisee Pantry
- MAR. 2020 - Alabama’s 20 Safest Cities of 2020
- MAR. 2020 - Baldwin County Residents Can Receive GED and Occupational Skills Training Online Through Coastal Alabama
- MAR. 2020 - News Release: USA Health Children’s & Women’s Hospital Forms New Partnership to Teach Community Classes
- MAR. 2020 - Remote Access and Best Practices
- MAR. 2020 - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources
- MAR. 2020 - 2020 Census to Make Big Difference for Alabama
- MAR. 2020 - Elsa Engeriser Named National Merit Finalist
- NOV. 2019 - Daphne High School to Host Career Fair
- OCT. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Workforce Development Director Graduates from U.S. Chamber Foundation Education & Workforce Fellowship Program
- SEP. 2019 - STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT ENCOURAGING ALL ALABAMIANS TO TAKE 10 MINUTES AND PARTICIPATE IN THE “TAKE 10 FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION” SURVEY
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 31st Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Sponsored Local High School Student to Participate in Economic and Community Development Program at Huntingdon College
- APR. 2019 - Baldwin County Named an ACT Work Ready Community
- MAR. 2019 - 2U Tire Named April Small Business of the Month
- JAN. 2019 - 2019 Baldwin County Career & Job Fair
- NOV. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Nominations
- NOV. 2018 - City of Fairhope Holds Visual Preference Survey Process to Gather Feedback for Future Development
- NOV. 2018 - Hatch Fairhope Announces Grand Opening
- OCT. 2018 - YOUTH LEADERSHIP BLOG: History & Geography Day
- SEP. 2018 - Alliance Publishing Group Named Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Month
- JUL. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 30th Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Wins Communications Excellence Award for Eastern Shore Elf Campaign
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Publishes Updated Election Guide for Primary Runoff Races
- MAY. 2018 - 2018 Primary Election Guide
- MAY. 2018 - Old Tyme Feed: May Small Business of the Month
- MAR. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Winners
- JAN. 2018 - A New Year: Where We've Been & Where We're Going
- SEP. 2017 - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Parts Ways with the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival Foundation
- DEC. 2016 - Fairhope Music Opens New Location
- DEC. 2016 - Brandy Rhodes Coaching Now Open in Fairhope
- NOV. 2016 - Congressman Bradley Byrne Addresses Business Community Following the Presidential Election
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber to Offer Leadership Workshop for Members
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber Young Professionals to Host a Cornhole Tournament to Benefit the Spanish Fort Public Library
- JUL. 2016 - The Eastern Shore Guide to the 4th of July
- MAY. 2016 - May Newsletter
- APR. 2016 - Fairhope Resident Named SCORE Mentor of the Year
- APR. 2016 - The April 2016 Newsletter
- MAR. 2016 - Ribbon Cut for AltaWorx
- MAR. 2016 - Spring 2016 Youth Leadership Applications
- FEB. 2016 - Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and Baldwin County Chambers of Commerce Host 16th Annual Job Fair
- FEB. 2016 - Specialized Therapy Services Opens in Fairhope
- FEB. 2016 - ESCoC Governmental Affairs Survey Results
- SEP. 2015 - Joe Hudson’s Collision Center
- SEP. 2015 - BenchMark Physical Therapy
- SEP. 2015 - Sage Lebanese Cuisine & Café
- SEP. 2015 - Shux on the Pier
- SEP. 2015 - Tourism Executive Of The Year Award
- SEP. 2015 - The 27th Anniversary Jubilee Festival
- SEP. 2015 - Youth Leadership 14th Annual Seven-Month Program
- JUL. 2015 - January 2015 Morning Marketing Release
- APR. 2015 - Eastern Shore Magazine 2015
- FEB. 2015 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER HONORS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD WINNER Tree Planted at Christ the King School
- SEP. 2014 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program Applications Available - Forty Students to be Selected to Participate in Class of 2015
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES June 10 TOPIC: “Economic Update for Baldwin County”
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER TO HOLD CANDIDATES FORUM - For Baldwin County Commissioner Candidates
- Jun. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Candidates Forum
- Apr. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Celebrate the Arts
- Mar. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Mar. 2014 - 30th Prayer Breakfast
- Mar. 2014 - Leadership Applications
- Mar. 2014 - Council Lucheon
- Feb. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Jan. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Nov. 2013 - Eggs N' Issues - Onespot
- Oct. 2013 - Student Art Competition
- Oct. 2013 - E.S.C. Seeks Local Artists
- Oct. 2013 - Candidate Forum Release
- Oct. 2013 - What's Going On in AL Legislature
- Jul.2013 - Mardi Gras Schedule - 2014