Original Oyster House Announces Chelsea Garvin Spirit Scholarship Winners
The Original Oyster House awarded Madeline Laurendine of Foley High School and Ashlie Cline of Fairhope High School the 11th Annual Chelsea Garvin Spirit Award Scholarships. Chelsea Garvin was a 2004 graduate of Fairhope High School, a Fish River Fire Department volunteer, an Original Oyster House employee and a talented artist whose life was cut short in a boating accident in 2005. The scholarship winners reflect Chelsea’s spirit in their artwork and in their reason for applying.
Since 2006, the Original Oyster House has awarded two $1,000 Chelsea Garvin Spirit Award scholarships to senior high school students of Baldwin County. The scholarship opportunity is not based on financial need, but rather academics, being involved in community arts and submitting artwork that reflects the culture of the well-loved iconic seafood restaurant as well as the spirit of Chelsea.
"I have always known that I would go to college to be a nurse for a long time now. What drew me to nursing is that I would have the opportunity to inspire people and be Christ's hands and feet. When I started looking at colleges it appalled me at how much college costs. Whenever I have time I paint and I have sold a few canvases. I have tried to apply for as many scholarships as possible and God has blessed me. When I found out about this scholarship I immediately went to work pouring my heart and soul into this painting because I would have the opportunity to help my parents pay for college even more. In the mist of painting I struggled to find my boat a name. When I read more on the scholarship I found that it was in memory of Chelsea Garvin. It seemed very fitting to name the boat the Chelsea. I read how sweet and caring she was and it is just an honor to be considered as someone who could potentially represent her name, "Laurendine recounted.
Cline stated, "My parents will have three children in college in the fall of 2016 and four children in college in the fall of 2017. It has been a huge goal of mine to help out with expenses through scholarships and saving money that I make working. I am ready to start my next chapter at Auburn University and I cannot wait to see what is in store for me this upcoming fall.”
The winning artworks will be displayed in both Original Oyster House restaurants for local patrons and visitors from all over the country to enjoy. The winners will also be given restaurant gift certificates to see first-hand their artwork displayed with family and friends.
The Original Oyster House has become the "must-go-to” place for great fresh Gulf seafood, service and southern hospitality and for its panoramic locations. A top-spot for hand-shucked and fire-grilled oysters, the Original Oyster House has also become legendary for its homemade gumbo, cheesy grits with blackened shrimp as well as handcrafted desserts including its famous peanut butter chocolate chip pie. Patrons, employees and children are welcomed as family.
The Original Oyster House has two locations, Mobile: 3733 Battleship Parkway, on the Causeway and Gulf Shores: 701 Hwy 59 on the Original Oyster House Boardwalk. Both locations offer spectacular waterfront views, private party rooms and have been celebrated as the area’s finest family restaurants for the past 32 years. The Original Oyster House is managed by Superb Foods, a management company of Geez Louise Boutique, OOH Trading Company and Joe & Dave’s Sauces and Seasonings. For more information about Original Oyster House, visit www.originaloysterhouse.com or call 251-928-2620.
Madeline Laurendine: Madeline Laurendine is pictured holding her award-winning art piece depicting a shrimp boat named Chelsea, after Chelsea Garvin whose life was cut short in a boating accident in 2005. The Chelsea Garvin Spirit Award Scholarship is awarded to 2 seniors of Baldwin County high school that reflect Chelsea’s spirit in their artwork and reason for applying.
Ashlie Cline: Ashlie Cline is pictured holding her award-winning artwork submitted for the 2016 Chelsea Garvin Spirit Award Scholarship.
- MAY. 2018 - 2018 Primary Election Guide
- MAY. 2018 - Old Tyme Feed: May Small Business of the Month
- MAR. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Winners
- JAN. 2018 - A New Year: Where We've Been & Where We're Going
- SEP. 2017 - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Parts Ways with the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival Foundation
- DEC. 2016 - Fairhope Music Opens New Location
- DEC. 2016 - Brandy Rhodes Coaching Now Open in Fairhope
- NOV. 2016 - Congressman Bradley Byrne Addresses Business Community Following the Presidential Election
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber to Offer Leadership Workshop for Members
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber Young Professionals to Host a Cornhole Tournament to Benefit the Spanish Fort Public Library
- JUL. 2016 - The Eastern Shore Guide to the 4th of July
- MAY. 2016 - May Newsletter
- APR. 2016 - Fairhope Resident Named SCORE Mentor of the Year
- APR. 2016 - The April 2016 Newsletter
- MAR. 2016 - Ribbon Cut for AltaWorx
- MAR. 2016 - Spring 2016 Youth Leadership Applications
- FEB. 2016 - Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and Baldwin County Chambers of Commerce Host 16th Annual Job Fair
- FEB. 2016 - Specialized Therapy Services Opens in Fairhope
- FEB. 2016 - ESCoC Governmental Affairs Survey Results
- SEP. 2015 - Joe Hudson’s Collision Center
- SEP. 2015 - BenchMark Physical Therapy
- SEP. 2015 - Sage Lebanese Cuisine & Café
- SEP. 2015 - Shux on the Pier
- SEP. 2015 - Tourism Executive Of The Year Award
- SEP. 2015 - The 27th Anniversary Jubilee Festival
- SEP. 2015 - Youth Leadership 14th Annual Seven-Month Program
- JUL. 2015 - January 2015 Morning Marketing Release
- APR. 2015 - Eastern Shore Magazine 2015
- FEB. 2015 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER HONORS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD WINNER Tree Planted at Christ the King School
- SEP. 2014 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program Applications Available - Forty Students to be Selected to Participate in Class of 2015
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES June 10 TOPIC: “Economic Update for Baldwin County”
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER TO HOLD CANDIDATES FORUM - For Baldwin County Commissioner Candidates
- Jun. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Candidates Forum
- Apr. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Celebrate the Arts
- Mar. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Mar. 2014 - 30th Prayer Breakfast
- Mar. 2014 - Leadership Applications
- Mar. 2014 - Council Lucheon
- Feb. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Jan. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Nov. 2013 - Eggs N' Issues - Onespot
- Oct. 2013 - Student Art Competition
- Oct. 2013 - E.S.C. Seeks Local Artists
- Oct. 2013 - Candidate Forum Release
- Oct. 2013 - What's Going On in AL Legislature
- Jul.2013 - Mardi Gras Schedule - 2014