Leadership Trip to New Orleans Inspires Innovation
NEW ORLEANS, La. - A group of 30 local business leaders joined the Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce on a Leaders Exchange to New Orleans, Louisiana, October 22-24 to share ideas and identify ways our local partnerships can work together to help the Eastern Shore prosper. The group was made up of Chamber board members, Leaders Council members, elected officials and committee chairmen.
The delegation first heard from Wiley Blankenship from the Coastal Alabama Partnership who talked about how organizations like the Eastern Shore Chamber are joining forces with other groups across Mobile and Baldwin Counties to push initiatives that will benefit Coastal Alabama. The group then heard from a similar organization in Louisiana, Greater New Orleans Inc. They’re also leveraging their partners to bolster economic development in the region. Other speakers included the New Orleans Chamber of Commerce, New Orleans Convention and Visitor’s Bureau and the New Orleans Small Business Alliance.
"Learning more about my fellow business leaders and exploring successful case studies and innovative ideas in New Orleans has been invaluable,” said Mary Mullins Redditt of MPACT Public Affairs Consulting.
The second day of the Leaders Exchange gave the group an opportunity to learn about Junior Achievement of Greater New Orleans and tour their BizTown, a mock city that gives 5th grade students a hands-on opportunity to learn life skills. Students start the day by taking out a business loan to run restaurants, banks, stores and non-profits. They create a business model and spend the day working to earn enough money to pay off their loan. Students learn how to write checks and pay bills. The Eastern Shore Chamber group got a chance to interact with these students as they vied for their business. This BizTown encouraged the Eastern Shore delegation to think outside the box when it comes to how we foster the Eastern Shore’s upcoming workforce.
"The similar challenges between the two regions are real. The investment in our youth is the ultimate goal, providing alternate routes for success is a common theme,” said Nathan Dunn with Fulcrum Construction.
While the delegation used the better part of each day to learn what initiatives were working and what wasn’t in New Orleans, they also had numerous opportunities to network with each other, building stronger working relationships and partnerships. Each participant was encouraged to spend time during each meal getting to know someone new, as they enjoyed delicious food at Criollo, Ralph’s on the Park, Galatoire’s & a cocktail party at Board Member Jennie Campbell's home.
"This was my first leadership trip and it truly was amazing. We have amazing leaders in our area and this really allowed us to get together to learn, grow and enjoy fellowship,” said Diane Anderson from Hartmann, Blackmon & Kilgore.
The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce would like to thank Jennie Campbell for her help connecting the delegation with organizations and speakers in New Orleans. Chamber staff and member leaders will now take what they’ve learned back to the Eastern Shore to collaborate on ideas to move the community forward.
- NOV. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Nominations
- NOV. 2018 - City of Fairhope Holds Visual Preference Survey Process to Gather Feedback for Future Development
- NOV. 2018 - Hatch Fairhope Announces Grand Opening
- OCT. 2018 - YOUTH LEADERSHIP BLOG: History & Geography Day
- SEP. 2018 - Alliance Publishing Group Named Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Month
- JUL. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 30th Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Wins Communications Excellence Award for Eastern Shore Elf Campaign
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Publishes Updated Election Guide for Primary Runoff Races
- MAY. 2018 - 2018 Primary Election Guide
- MAY. 2018 - Old Tyme Feed: May Small Business of the Month
- MAR. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Winners
- JAN. 2018 - A New Year: Where We've Been & Where We're Going
- SEP. 2017 - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Parts Ways with the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival Foundation
- DEC. 2016 - Fairhope Music Opens New Location
- DEC. 2016 - Brandy Rhodes Coaching Now Open in Fairhope
- NOV. 2016 - Congressman Bradley Byrne Addresses Business Community Following the Presidential Election
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber to Offer Leadership Workshop for Members
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber Young Professionals to Host a Cornhole Tournament to Benefit the Spanish Fort Public Library
- JUL. 2016 - The Eastern Shore Guide to the 4th of July
- MAY. 2016 - May Newsletter
- APR. 2016 - Fairhope Resident Named SCORE Mentor of the Year
- APR. 2016 - The April 2016 Newsletter
- MAR. 2016 - Ribbon Cut for AltaWorx
- MAR. 2016 - Spring 2016 Youth Leadership Applications
- FEB. 2016 - Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and Baldwin County Chambers of Commerce Host 16th Annual Job Fair
- FEB. 2016 - Specialized Therapy Services Opens in Fairhope
- FEB. 2016 - ESCoC Governmental Affairs Survey Results
- SEP. 2015 - Joe Hudson’s Collision Center
- SEP. 2015 - BenchMark Physical Therapy
- SEP. 2015 - Sage Lebanese Cuisine & Café
- SEP. 2015 - Shux on the Pier
- SEP. 2015 - Tourism Executive Of The Year Award
- SEP. 2015 - The 27th Anniversary Jubilee Festival
- SEP. 2015 - Youth Leadership 14th Annual Seven-Month Program
- JUL. 2015 - January 2015 Morning Marketing Release
- APR. 2015 - Eastern Shore Magazine 2015
- FEB. 2015 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER HONORS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD WINNER Tree Planted at Christ the King School
- SEP. 2014 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program Applications Available - Forty Students to be Selected to Participate in Class of 2015
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES June 10 TOPIC: “Economic Update for Baldwin County”
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER TO HOLD CANDIDATES FORUM - For Baldwin County Commissioner Candidates
- Jun. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Candidates Forum
- Apr. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Celebrate the Arts
- Mar. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Mar. 2014 - 30th Prayer Breakfast
- Mar. 2014 - Leadership Applications
- Mar. 2014 - Council Lucheon
- Feb. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Jan. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Nov. 2013 - Eggs N' Issues - Onespot
- Oct. 2013 - Student Art Competition
- Oct. 2013 - E.S.C. Seeks Local Artists
- Oct. 2013 - Candidate Forum Release
- Oct. 2013 - What's Going On in AL Legislature
- Jul.2013 - Mardi Gras Schedule - 2014