Leaders Council Spotlight: Duncan Gillis, BBB Industries
DAPHNE, Ala. - Duncan Gillis is the CEO of BBB Industries, an industry leader in remanufacturing of starters, alternators, brake calipers, power steering products and turbochargers for the North American vehicle aftermarket.
BBB Industries, is one of the Alabama Gulf Coast’s best-kept secrets. The Daphne-based company was founded in 1987 by a local father and his two sons. Today, it has grown to employ more than 10,500 people in North America and supplies almost 20 million parts annually, that fit more than 95% of the vehicles on the road today. Its products are stocked in more than 22,000 stores across North America.
BBB is an automotive part remanufacturer. That means they restore parts to "good as new” condition. The company says remanufacturing is one of the world’s greenest and most sustainable industries because it operates on a circular economy; minimizing waste, reducing energy consumption, conserving landfill space and saving non-renewable raw materials. Remanufacturing also makes products more widely available at lower prices.
CEO Duncan Gillis took on leadership at BBB two years ago. In that time, the company has grown more than 50%, primarily through market share gains and bolt-on acquisitions.
In August 2018, the company was sold to a consortium of company executives and San Francisco-based Genstar Capital, an investment firm focused on providing capital for fast-growing middle market companies.
Gillis has served on various for profit and not for profit boards over his career, with his most recent experience at the National Association of Manufacturers, one of the most important advocates for small, medium and large US manufacturing companies.
Locally, he represents BBB on the Eastern Shore Chamber's Leaders Council. The company is also involved with the Prodisee Pantry, Habitat for Humanity, and the LifeSouth Community Blood Center. They also assemble a team each year for the Fuse Project’s Dragon Boat Race.
"I have always believed that our family should contribute to the communities in which we live. For instance, when our children were younger, we lived in a foreign country. I coached basketball, and my wife, Morgen, ran the sports program for the expatriate children. Over the years, both, she and I served on Boards of local non-profit organizations,” said Gillis.
Gillis was born and raised on the South Shore of Massachusetts and holds a BS and MBA from Cornell University. After graduating from college, Gillis was commissioned into the United States Army and served as a Light Infantry Officer (Ranger qualified) attaining the final rank of Captain.
An instrument-rated private pilot, he currently resides in Point Clear with his wife of 32 years, Morgen, and dog, Darby. The Gillis’ have two sons.
"We love the Eastern Shore and, after living around the country and the world for most of our married lives, we have decided to settle down here,” said Gillis. "The welcoming community, accessible outdoor activities, warm climate, abundant natural beauty, and the hospitality have hooked us!”
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 31st Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Sponsored Local High School Student to Participate in Economic and Community Development Program at Huntingdon College
- APR. 2019 - Baldwin County Named an ACT Work Ready Community
- MAR. 2019 - 2U Tire Named April Small Business of the Month
- JAN. 2019 - 2019 Baldwin County Career & Job Fair
- NOV. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Nominations
- NOV. 2018 - City of Fairhope Holds Visual Preference Survey Process to Gather Feedback for Future Development
- NOV. 2018 - Hatch Fairhope Announces Grand Opening
- OCT. 2018 - YOUTH LEADERSHIP BLOG: History & Geography Day
- SEP. 2018 - Alliance Publishing Group Named Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Month
- JUL. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 30th Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Wins Communications Excellence Award for Eastern Shore Elf Campaign
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Publishes Updated Election Guide for Primary Runoff Races
- MAY. 2018 - 2018 Primary Election Guide
- MAY. 2018 - Old Tyme Feed: May Small Business of the Month
- MAR. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Winners
- JAN. 2018 - A New Year: Where We've Been & Where We're Going
- SEP. 2017 - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Parts Ways with the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival Foundation
- DEC. 2016 - Fairhope Music Opens New Location
- DEC. 2016 - Brandy Rhodes Coaching Now Open in Fairhope
- NOV. 2016 - Congressman Bradley Byrne Addresses Business Community Following the Presidential Election
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber to Offer Leadership Workshop for Members
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber Young Professionals to Host a Cornhole Tournament to Benefit the Spanish Fort Public Library
- JUL. 2016 - The Eastern Shore Guide to the 4th of July
- MAY. 2016 - May Newsletter
- APR. 2016 - Fairhope Resident Named SCORE Mentor of the Year
- APR. 2016 - The April 2016 Newsletter
- MAR. 2016 - Ribbon Cut for AltaWorx
- MAR. 2016 - Spring 2016 Youth Leadership Applications
- FEB. 2016 - Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and Baldwin County Chambers of Commerce Host 16th Annual Job Fair
- FEB. 2016 - Specialized Therapy Services Opens in Fairhope
- FEB. 2016 - ESCoC Governmental Affairs Survey Results
- SEP. 2015 - Joe Hudson’s Collision Center
- SEP. 2015 - BenchMark Physical Therapy
- SEP. 2015 - Sage Lebanese Cuisine & Café
- SEP. 2015 - Shux on the Pier
- SEP. 2015 - Tourism Executive Of The Year Award
- SEP. 2015 - The 27th Anniversary Jubilee Festival
- SEP. 2015 - Youth Leadership 14th Annual Seven-Month Program
- JUL. 2015 - January 2015 Morning Marketing Release
- APR. 2015 - Eastern Shore Magazine 2015
- FEB. 2015 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER HONORS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD WINNER Tree Planted at Christ the King School
- SEP. 2014 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program Applications Available - Forty Students to be Selected to Participate in Class of 2015
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES June 10 TOPIC: “Economic Update for Baldwin County”
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER TO HOLD CANDIDATES FORUM - For Baldwin County Commissioner Candidates
- Jun. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Candidates Forum
- Apr. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Celebrate the Arts
- Mar. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Mar. 2014 - 30th Prayer Breakfast
- Mar. 2014 - Leadership Applications
- Mar. 2014 - Council Lucheon
- Feb. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Jan. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Nov. 2013 - Eggs N' Issues - Onespot
- Oct. 2013 - Student Art Competition
- Oct. 2013 - E.S.C. Seeks Local Artists
- Oct. 2013 - Candidate Forum Release
- Oct. 2013 - What's Going On in AL Legislature
- Jul.2013 - Mardi Gras Schedule - 2014