In the Company of Angels… ''Where Visitors Are Always Welcomed and Returning Friends are Absolutely Adored''
"In the Company of Angels" and its owner Diane Douglas have become a downtown Fairhope staple. The thoughtfulness shop located in the heart of the Fairhope French Quarter just celebrated its 28th anniversary. The 2,000-square foot shop is dedicated specifically to uplifting gifts and accessories for all ages. Douglas said, "It’s simple in design and focus, it’s an entire shop filled with happies!” You’ll find angels throughout, but other treasures include original art, jewelry, soaps and inspirational quotes. If you’re looking for a small gift, look no further.
The store and its staff make everyone welcome. "Yes, we do welcome pets with well-behaved owners,” said Douglas. They even keep a supply of dog treats at the desk. Thinking baskets are scattered nearby to collect any selection you might be considering and a comfy corner allows the reluctant shopper a spot to rest while others browse.
Fairhope’s French Quarter has become an attraction over the years. In the Company of Angels played a role in the creation of the Fairhope French Quarter in 1993. As Douglas looked for a larger space for the shop, she teamed up with Bessie Montgomery who owned property on De La Mare. They came up with the idea to have small shops off a courtyard to offer growing businesses a chance to find reasonably priced locations. In the Company of Angels opened as the French Quarter’s anchor store in 1994. Several local businesses now call the tree covered courtyard home.
Diane Douglas jokes that she brings longevity as her biggest asset to her leadership roles. She was an initial member of the Downtown Merchants Association and served as their President twice. She’s also strongly supported the Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce throughout the years, now serving on the current Board of Directors. She’s volunteered in many capacities with Ecumenical Ministries and serves through outreach programs at her church home, Trinity Presbyterian.
Douglas told us she credits the store’s growth and success to the wonderful friends who make up the group she calls the Angel Crew. "They buy in to the hope-filled message of our tiny pass-along ministry and share with those who enter our shop,” said Douglas. She says faces change over the years, but they are committed to providing care and concern for those who arrive at the shop’s doors.
In the Company of Angels is open year-round Monday through Saturday from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. with special hours during the holidays. They are located at 328 De La Mare Avenue in Fairhope. You can also find them on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/thecompanyofangels/.
- SEP. 2017 - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Parts Ways with the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival Foundation
- DEC. 2016 - Fairhope Music Opens New Location
- DEC. 2016 - Brandy Rhodes Coaching Now Open in Fairhope
- NOV. 2016 - Congressman Bradley Byrne Addresses Business Community Following the Presidential Election
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber to Offer Leadership Workshop for Members
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber Young Professionals to Host a Cornhole Tournament to Benefit the Spanish Fort Public Library
- JUL. 2016 - The Eastern Shore Guide to the 4th of July
- MAY. 2016 - May Newsletter
- APR. 2016 - Fairhope Resident Named SCORE Mentor of the Year
- APR. 2016 - The April 2016 Newsletter
- MAR. 2016 - Ribbon Cut for AltaWorx
- MAR. 2016 - Spring 2016 Youth Leadership Applications
- FEB. 2016 - Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and Baldwin County Chambers of Commerce Host 16th Annual Job Fair
- FEB. 2016 - Specialized Therapy Services Opens in Fairhope
- FEB. 2016 - ESCoC Governmental Affairs Survey Results
- SEP. 2015 - Joe Hudson’s Collision Center
- SEP. 2015 - BenchMark Physical Therapy
- SEP. 2015 - Sage Lebanese Cuisine & Café
- SEP. 2015 - Shux on the Pier
- SEP. 2015 - Tourism Executive Of The Year Award
- SEP. 2015 - The 27th Anniversary Jubilee Festival
- SEP. 2015 - Youth Leadership 14th Annual Seven-Month Program
- JUL. 2015 - January 2015 Morning Marketing Release
- APR. 2015 - Eastern Shore Magazine 2015
- FEB. 2015 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER HONORS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD WINNER Tree Planted at Christ the King School
- SEP. 2014 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program Applications Available - Forty Students to be Selected to Participate in Class of 2015
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES June 10 TOPIC: “Economic Update for Baldwin County”
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER TO HOLD CANDIDATES FORUM - For Baldwin County Commissioner Candidates
- Jun. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Candidates Forum
- Apr. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Celebrate the Arts
- Mar. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Mar. 2014 - 30th Prayer Breakfast
- Mar. 2014 - Leadership Applications
- Mar. 2014 - Council Lucheon
- Feb. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Jan. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Nov. 2013 - Eggs N' Issues - Onespot
- Oct. 2013 - Student Art Competition
- Oct. 2013 - E.S.C. Seeks Local Artists
- Oct. 2013 - Candidate Forum Release
- Oct. 2013 - What's Going On in AL Legislature
- Jul.2013 - Mardi Gras Schedule - 2014