Fairhope's Owen Bailey named COO of USA Health
MOBILE, Ala. -- Owen Bailey, a veteran health care leader who serves as administrator of University of South Alabama Children’s & Women’s Hospital, has been named the chief operating officer of USA Health, a comprehensive academic health care system dedicated to helping people lead longer, better lives.
In this newly created role, Bailey will be responsible for the management, operation and oversight of USA Health, with a goal of enhancing a high-quality, cost-effective, integrated care delivery system. He will work closely with University of South Alabama and USA Health leaders to set strategic direction and operational goals. With more than 3,700 employees, USA Health’s annual economic impact is $560 million.
USA Health Vice President Stan Hammack said Bailey’s leadership skills and experience in health care will be assets in this new role.
"Five years ago, we were glad to have Owen join our management team," Hammack said. "His combination of experience and leadership is appreciated, and we are pleased he has taken on this new position. He will work closely with our administrative teams and advocate on state and national health care policy matters that directly affect our patients."
Bailey said he is proud to serve USA Health as chief operating officer, even as he continues to lead USA Children’s & Women’s Hospital for the immediate future.
"It's an honor to work with this great team," Bailey said. "I'm proud to be part of a system that provides such unique programs and services. USA Health plays a crucial role in providing health care, research and education to our region."
Bailey has served as administrator of USA Children’s & Women’s Hospital since 2011, leading the development and opening of a new children’s tower in 2013. The tower doubled the size of the hospital and expanded USA Children’s & Women’s pediatric and neonatal intensive care units, which are unique in the region.
Prior to joining USA, he led Fairhope’s Thomas Hospital as president and chief executive officer from 1992-2006 before joining Infirmary Health System as an executive vice president from 2006-2011.
A fellow of the American College of Healthcare Executives, Bailey has served on the boards of Blue Cross Blue Shield of Alabama, the Mobile Area Chamber of Commerce and the Business Council of Alabama. He is past chairman of the Southwest Council for the Alabama Hospital Association, Mobile Area Education Foundation and the Southwest Alabama Workforce Development Council. He serves on several boards including the Alabama Hospital Association, University of Mobile, United Way of Southwest Alabama, Ronald McDonald House Charities of Mobile and the Business Council of Alabama.
He earned a bachelor’s degree in health administration from Auburn University and a master’s degree in health administration from the University of Alabama at Birmingham. He has been active in alumni associations at both schools. He and his wife, Genie, have four children.
USA Health helps people lead longer, better lives through its excellence in education, research and medical care. With more than 3,700 employees, USA's health network includes USA Medical Center, USA Children's & Women's Hospital, USA Mitchell Cancer Institute, USA Physicians Group and the USA College of Medicine. Each year, our team of 180 physicians, 240 residents and fellows, and 800 nurses handle some 185,000 clinic visits and 350,000 outpatient procedures. USA Health delivers 2,800 babies a year, more than any other regional hospital, and treats patients through some 60,000 emergency room visits annually.
In addition to advanced and innovative patient care offered at University hospitals and clinics, USA's medical education programs provide first-class training experiences for the next generation of physicians and scientists. USA Health delivers excellence in care while improving the quality of life for residents across the Gulf Coast.
- OCT. 2018 - YOUTH LEADERSHIP BLOG: History & Geography Day
- JUL. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 30th Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Wins Communications Excellence Award for Eastern Shore Elf Campaign
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Publishes Updated Election Guide for Primary Runoff Races
- MAY. 2018 - 2018 Primary Election Guide
- MAY. 2018 - Old Tyme Feed: May Small Business of the Month
- MAR. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Winners
- JAN. 2018 - A New Year: Where We've Been & Where We're Going
- SEP. 2017 - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Parts Ways with the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival Foundation
- DEC. 2016 - Fairhope Music Opens New Location
- DEC. 2016 - Brandy Rhodes Coaching Now Open in Fairhope
- NOV. 2016 - Congressman Bradley Byrne Addresses Business Community Following the Presidential Election
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber to Offer Leadership Workshop for Members
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber Young Professionals to Host a Cornhole Tournament to Benefit the Spanish Fort Public Library
- JUL. 2016 - The Eastern Shore Guide to the 4th of July
- MAY. 2016 - May Newsletter
- APR. 2016 - Fairhope Resident Named SCORE Mentor of the Year
- APR. 2016 - The April 2016 Newsletter
- MAR. 2016 - Ribbon Cut for AltaWorx
- MAR. 2016 - Spring 2016 Youth Leadership Applications
- FEB. 2016 - Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and Baldwin County Chambers of Commerce Host 16th Annual Job Fair
- FEB. 2016 - Specialized Therapy Services Opens in Fairhope
- FEB. 2016 - ESCoC Governmental Affairs Survey Results
- SEP. 2015 - Joe Hudson’s Collision Center
- SEP. 2015 - BenchMark Physical Therapy
- SEP. 2015 - Sage Lebanese Cuisine & Café
- SEP. 2015 - Shux on the Pier
- SEP. 2015 - Tourism Executive Of The Year Award
- SEP. 2015 - The 27th Anniversary Jubilee Festival
- SEP. 2015 - Youth Leadership 14th Annual Seven-Month Program
- JUL. 2015 - January 2015 Morning Marketing Release
- APR. 2015 - Eastern Shore Magazine 2015
- FEB. 2015 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER HONORS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD WINNER Tree Planted at Christ the King School
- SEP. 2014 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program Applications Available - Forty Students to be Selected to Participate in Class of 2015
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES June 10 TOPIC: “Economic Update for Baldwin County”
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER TO HOLD CANDIDATES FORUM - For Baldwin County Commissioner Candidates
- Jun. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Candidates Forum
- Apr. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Celebrate the Arts
- Mar. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Mar. 2014 - 30th Prayer Breakfast
- Mar. 2014 - Leadership Applications
- Mar. 2014 - Council Lucheon
- Feb. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Jan. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Nov. 2013 - Eggs N' Issues - Onespot
- Oct. 2013 - Student Art Competition
- Oct. 2013 - E.S.C. Seeks Local Artists
- Oct. 2013 - Candidate Forum Release
- Oct. 2013 - What's Going On in AL Legislature
- Jul.2013 - Mardi Gras Schedule - 2014