Adult College Students get Personal ‘Success Coach’ with New Program at University of Mobile
MOBILE, Ala. – Just as a hotel concierge helps vacationers handle details like dinner reservations and travel arrangements, University of Mobile’s new "Success Coach” program gives adults their own educational concierge to help navigate through college, from application to graduation.
The Success Coach program is in place now, and adult students are currently enrolling for online and on campus classes that begin Aug. 22. For information or to apply, go to www.umobile.edu/ags or call 251.442.2491.
Danny Chancey, director of Adult and Graduate Studies at the Christian university, said UM has always been known for having small classes and giving personal attention to students. The "concierge model” takes that personal attention to the next level.
"Each adult student in our seven undergraduate and five graduate programs is assigned a ‘success coach’ who helps that student navigate through the paperwork to enroll, schedule courses, and assist however it may be needed. Success coaches help adult students overcome barriers to college success,” Chancey said.
UM Adult and Graduate Studies includes online and on campus Bachelor’s and Master’s degree programs in business, education, psychology, ministry and nursing. Several programs have changed, including a revised Master of Business Administration program that reduces the number of credit hours needed, and a non-thesis Master of Arts in Biblical/Theological Studies.
J.B. Locke serves as a success coach for the School of Business.
"I believe that students should have the smoothest process possible so that their main concern is the actual coursework in the classes,” Locke said.
"I work with students from their point of interest in the program all the way through to graduation. I guide students through the application process and registration, then follow their progress throughout the program, offering advice on coursework and career planning. I even serve as a sounding board if a student needs one,” she added.
Chancey said going back to school is a challenge for many working adults, and the new Success Coach program provides a reliable and knowledgeable partner on the journey.
"It’s easy to become overwhelmed at the idea of returning to school to earn a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree as an adult. The beauty of this concierge model is that our adult students have a success coach whose goal is to make what seems impossible possible,” Chancey said.
University of Mobile is a Christ-centered liberal arts and sciences institution with a vision of higher education for a higher purpose, founded to honor God by equipping students for their future professions through rigorous academic preparation and spiritual transformation. The university offers on-campus and online bachelor’s and master’s degree programs in over 40 areas of study. Founded in 1961, University of Mobile is affiliated with the Alabama Baptist State Convention and is located 10 miles north of Mobile, Alabama on a campus of over 880 acres.
For more information about University of Mobile, visit the website at www.umobile.edu or call Enrollment Services at 1.800.WIN.RAMS or 251.442.2222.
- APR. 2020 - Community Outreach Resources
- APR. 2020 - Costal Alabama Community College Division of Workforce Development launches online custom built industry curriculum to upskill workers amongst the COVID crisis.
- APR. 2020 - With $349 Billion in Emergency Small Business Capital Cleared, SBA and Treasury Begin Unprecedented Public-Private Mobilization Effort to Distribute Funds
- MAR. 2020 - Breaking Down the SBA Loan For Small Businesses
- MAR. 2020 - Diagnostic and Medical Clinic evaluating all symptomatic persons beginning Monday, March 30
- MAR. 2020 - Emergency Food Distribution at Prodisee Pantry
- MAR. 2020 - Alabama’s 20 Safest Cities of 2020
- MAR. 2020 - Baldwin County Residents Can Receive GED and Occupational Skills Training Online Through Coastal Alabama
- MAR. 2020 - News Release: USA Health Children’s & Women’s Hospital Forms New Partnership to Teach Community Classes
- MAR. 2020 - Remote Access and Best Practices
- MAR. 2020 - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources
- MAR. 2020 - 2020 Census to Make Big Difference for Alabama
- MAR. 2020 - Elsa Engeriser Named National Merit Finalist
- NOV. 2019 - Daphne High School to Host Career Fair
- OCT. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Workforce Development Director Graduates from U.S. Chamber Foundation Education & Workforce Fellowship Program
- SEP. 2019 - STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT ENCOURAGING ALL ALABAMIANS TO TAKE 10 MINUTES AND PARTICIPATE IN THE “TAKE 10 FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION” SURVEY
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 31st Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Sponsored Local High School Student to Participate in Economic and Community Development Program at Huntingdon College
- APR. 2019 - Baldwin County Named an ACT Work Ready Community
- MAR. 2019 - 2U Tire Named April Small Business of the Month
- JAN. 2019 - 2019 Baldwin County Career & Job Fair
- NOV. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Nominations
- NOV. 2018 - City of Fairhope Holds Visual Preference Survey Process to Gather Feedback for Future Development
- NOV. 2018 - Hatch Fairhope Announces Grand Opening
- OCT. 2018 - YOUTH LEADERSHIP BLOG: History & Geography Day
- SEP. 2018 - Alliance Publishing Group Named Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Month
- JUL. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 30th Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Wins Communications Excellence Award for Eastern Shore Elf Campaign
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Publishes Updated Election Guide for Primary Runoff Races
- MAY. 2018 - 2018 Primary Election Guide
- MAY. 2018 - Old Tyme Feed: May Small Business of the Month
- MAR. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Winners
- JAN. 2018 - A New Year: Where We've Been & Where We're Going
- SEP. 2017 - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Parts Ways with the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival Foundation
- DEC. 2016 - Fairhope Music Opens New Location
- DEC. 2016 - Brandy Rhodes Coaching Now Open in Fairhope
- NOV. 2016 - Congressman Bradley Byrne Addresses Business Community Following the Presidential Election
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber to Offer Leadership Workshop for Members
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber Young Professionals to Host a Cornhole Tournament to Benefit the Spanish Fort Public Library
- JUL. 2016 - The Eastern Shore Guide to the 4th of July
- MAY. 2016 - May Newsletter
- APR. 2016 - Fairhope Resident Named SCORE Mentor of the Year
- APR. 2016 - The April 2016 Newsletter
- MAR. 2016 - Ribbon Cut for AltaWorx
- MAR. 2016 - Spring 2016 Youth Leadership Applications
- FEB. 2016 - Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and Baldwin County Chambers of Commerce Host 16th Annual Job Fair
- FEB. 2016 - Specialized Therapy Services Opens in Fairhope
- FEB. 2016 - ESCoC Governmental Affairs Survey Results
- SEP. 2015 - Joe Hudson’s Collision Center
- SEP. 2015 - BenchMark Physical Therapy
- SEP. 2015 - Sage Lebanese Cuisine & Café
- SEP. 2015 - Shux on the Pier
- SEP. 2015 - Tourism Executive Of The Year Award
- SEP. 2015 - The 27th Anniversary Jubilee Festival
- SEP. 2015 - Youth Leadership 14th Annual Seven-Month Program
- JUL. 2015 - January 2015 Morning Marketing Release
- APR. 2015 - Eastern Shore Magazine 2015
- FEB. 2015 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER HONORS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD WINNER Tree Planted at Christ the King School
- SEP. 2014 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program Applications Available - Forty Students to be Selected to Participate in Class of 2015
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES June 10 TOPIC: “Economic Update for Baldwin County”
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER TO HOLD CANDIDATES FORUM - For Baldwin County Commissioner Candidates
- Jun. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Candidates Forum
- Apr. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Celebrate the Arts
- Mar. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Mar. 2014 - 30th Prayer Breakfast
- Mar. 2014 - Leadership Applications
- Mar. 2014 - Council Lucheon
- Feb. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Jan. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Nov. 2013 - Eggs N' Issues - Onespot
- Oct. 2013 - Student Art Competition
- Oct. 2013 - E.S.C. Seeks Local Artists
- Oct. 2013 - Candidate Forum Release
- Oct. 2013 - What's Going On in AL Legislature
- Jul.2013 - Mardi Gras Schedule - 2014