Academy Faculty Teach in International Education Programs in Malaysia, Thailand
DAPHNE, Ala. – The United States Sports Academy continues to provide sport education to students around the world with Dr. Phillip Capps and Dr. Bonnie Tiell, instructors from its National Faculty, recently teaching in Malaysia and Thailand.
The Academy’s National Faculty is a group of highly qualified faculty who teach in the Academy’s international post-secondary non-degree education programs.
An experienced sports educator, administrator and operations manager, Capps taught for the Academy in Malaysia as part of the international education programs offered by the institution which contribute to the training of the people responsible for improving the health and life skills of the youth of the nation. Capps has taught previously in both Malaysia and the United Arab Emirates.
Launched in Malaysia in 2012 and continuing today, the Academy’s International Diploma in Physical Education and Sports Coaching (IDPESC) program has trained thousands of Malaysian teachers in critical physical education and coaching skills. Concurrently, the Academy’s "Train the Trainers” (TOT) program continues to assist the Malaysian government in its National Service Training Program (NSTP). The Academy’s instructors are responsible for training the instructors who in turn teach sport and physical fitness skills to more than 250,000 Malaysian youth each year as part of the country’s NSTP curriculum.
The partnership is one of many collaborations between the Academy and Malaysia dating back to the early 1980s. The Academy is exploring additional initiatives with the country, including a program to contribute to the physical fitness of the nation’s police force.
Capps taught nine courses related to physical fitness, physical education, sport coaching methodology and sports first aid.
Capps is not only a member of the Academy’s National Faculty, he’s also an alumnus, having earned his Doctor of Education degree in sports management from the Academy.
"The opportunity to lecture and teach sport skills in six different states of Malaysia during the past five years while serving as an Academy National Faculty member, beginning in Borneo 2013 and ending in Johor 2018, has been a challenge of a lifetime,” Capps said.
"The diversity of Malaysia rivals that of the United States of America. The six different assignments and locations have been a unique challenge and opportunity. There is a great personal reward of educating in a different language and culture, which develops different communication skills for myself and the students.”
Tiell recently returned from teaching for the Academy in Bangkok, Thailand, where the institution is conducting its International Certification in Sports Coaching (ICSC) and International Certification in Sports Management (ICSM) programs, which have been in place more than a decade. She taught CEM 422, Structure and Function in Sports, while in Thailand.
Both certification programs prepare participants for leadership roles in sport. The ICSC program includes a wide range of coaching and related administrative skills, while the ICSM program includes management topics such as sports event planning, marketing and public relations, and facilities.
Approximately 50 students annually are drawn from the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT) and its affiliated sport organizations around the country to attend each of the certification programs, with as many as 100 students involved each year. Following the conclusion of the classroom portion of the program, which is provided by Academy instructors, the SAT selects the best students from each program for a special study tour of sport in America. A delegation of approximately 15 students and administrators from the SAT takes part in an educational tour of various sports organizations and venues for two weeks from coast to coast in the United States, including a study visit to the Academy.
The coming year will mark the 12th year of the Sports Study Tour. The Academy and the SAT have a Memorandum of Understanding to extend cooperation in sports education and training through 2020.
"Thailand is known for its extremely hospitable culture which is why it was an easy decision to return to Bangkok to teach,” Tiell said. "Another driving force is the interaction with the students who are high level industry professionals from the Sports Authority of Thailand and from over a dozen national and continental sport federations.
"The cooperative learning style seemed to be well-received by participants who were able to share and solicit feedback on challenges and real-life scenarios their organizations are facing in light of the economy and general organizational politics.”
This year the Academy’s programs in Thailand have been expanded through the addition of the National Sports Coaching Program (NSCP), a certification program designed to meet the advanced needs of Thai coaching professionals and to aid them in becoming leaders of their coaching communities. Under the program, 35 students will attend four advanced coaching courses in Bangkok to introduce them to the latest in coaching theory, and 10 exceptional student-coaches will be chosen by the SAT to participate in a hands-on practicum opportunity in the United States in September.
Tiell is also an Academy alumna, having earned her Doctor of Education degree in sports management from the Academy in 2004. She was the Academy’s Alumna of the Year in 2014. She is a professor of sport management at Tiffin University in Tiffin, Ohio, where she has been widely recognized for her contributions to intercollegiate athletic administration and global sports governance.
The United States Sports Academy is an independent, non-profit, accredited, special mission sports university created to serve the nation and world with programs in instruction, research and service. The role of the Academy is to prepare men and women for careers in the profession of sports.
The Academy is based in Daphne, Ala. For more information, call (251) 626-3303 or visit www.ussa.edu.
- NOV. 2020 - SBA Economic Injury Disaster Loans Available in Alabama Following Secretary of Agriculture Disaster Declaration
- NOV. 2020 - SBA Deadline for Alabama Private Nonprofit Organizations to Apply for Physical Damage Disaster Loans is Dec. 8
- NOV. 2020 - General Election Amendments Breakdown
- OCT. 2020 - SBA Disaster Loans Available to Alabama Private Non-Profit Organizations Affected by Hurricane Sally
- OCT. 2020 - Alabama Road Trips
- OCT. 2020 - Note From the President, Casey Williams
- SEP. 2020 - Eastern Shore Chamber Announces New Dates for Mayoral Runoff Debates in Daphne and Spanish Fort
- SEP. 2020 - Hurricane Resource Guide
- SEP. 2020 - Prodisee Pantry to Hold Mass Emergency Food Distribution Tomorrow in Response to Hurricane Sally
- AUG. 2020 - BALDWIN TOGETHER - Cooperative Partnerships Working Together Supporting Baldwin County Residents Impacted by COVID-19
- AUG. 2020 - Your Employee is in Jail SCAM Happening Locally
- AUG. 2020 - New Car Tag to Support Alabama Small Business
- AUG. 2020 - Fairhope Walking School Bus Idling Until Sept. 1
- JUL. 2020 - CAP Releases RFP for Eco-Tourism
- JUL. 2020 - Baldwin County Probate Office Update
- JUL. 2020 - Public Notice Regarding Mandatory Mask Requirement for Circuit Courts in Baldwin County Courts
- JUL. 2020 - Jubilee Festival of Arts Unveils 2020 Festival Poster Artwork by Local Artist Ricky Trione
- JUL. 2020 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Launches New Tourism Website to Boost Exposure for Local Small Businesses
- JUN. 2020 - Prodisee Pantry Asking Families Seeking Food Tomorrow to Pre-plan Route and Extra Time DUE TO TRAFFIC & ROAD CLOSURES
- JUN. 2020 - Former Fortune 100 Business Leader John Manelos Announces Bid to Become Next Mayor of Fairhope, AL
- JUN. 2020 - Legends in Concert to ReOpen at OWA
- JUN. 2020 - BB&T/Truist PPP by the Numbers
- JUN. 2020 - SBA and Treasury Announce New EZ and Revised Full Forgiveness Applications for the Paycheck Protection Program
- JUN. 2020 - Baldwin County's May 2020 Housing Report
- MAY. 2020 - 2020 Legislative Session Recap
- MAY. 2020 - COVID-19 Emergency Relief: Guidelines for Payment of Outstanding Sales and Lodgings Tax Liability
- MAY. 2020 - SERVPRO Cleaning Specialist in Daphne Recommends Four Key Things to Look for as Businesses Reopen
- MAY. 2020 - Local Businesses Partner with Eastern Shore Chamber & Coastal Alabama Community College to Launch New IT Apprenticeship
- MAY. 2020 - Gov. Kay Ivey Amends Safer at Home Order
- APR. 2020 - Calling All Helping Hands
- APR. 2020 - Infirmary Health Launches Convalescent Plasma Donation Program to Treat Sickest COVID-19 Patients
- APR. 2020 - Local Nonprofits Need Our Help
- APR. 2020 - Guidelines: Opening Up America Again
- APR. 2020 - SAWDC Region 07 Job and Training Opportunities
- APR. 2020 - Baldwin County Covid-19 Impact Report
- APR. 2020 - Free Facebook Training During Lockdown
- APR. 2020 - Prodisee Pantry announces changes to Mass Emergency Food Distribution due to Highway 31 road construction
- APR. 2020 - PPP & EIDL Updates
- APR. 2020 - Bridge the Gap Bama
- APR. 2020 - How is COVD-19 Affecting Your Workforce
- APR. 2020 - Maritime Executive Named Director and Chief Executive of the Alabama State Port Authority
- APR. 2020 - PPE Resources For Businesses
- APR. 2020 - Costal Alabama Community College Division of Workforce Development launches online custom built industry curriculum to upskill workers amongst the COVID crisis.
- APR. 2020 - With $349 Billion in Emergency Small Business Capital Cleared, SBA and Treasury Begin Unprecedented Public-Private Mobilization Effort to Distribute Funds
- MAR. 2020 - Breaking Down the SBA Loan For Small Businesses
- MAR. 2020 - Diagnostic and Medical Clinic evaluating all symptomatic persons beginning Monday, March 30
- MAR. 2020 - Emergency Food Distribution at Prodisee Pantry
- MAR. 2020 - Alabama’s 20 Safest Cities of 2020
- MAR. 2020 - Baldwin County Residents Can Receive GED and Occupational Skills Training Online Through Coastal Alabama
- MAR. 2020 - News Release: USA Health Children’s & Women’s Hospital Forms New Partnership to Teach Community Classes
- MAR. 2020 - Remote Access and Best Practices
- MAR. 2020 - Coronavirus (COVID-19) Resources
- MAR. 2020 - 2020 Census to Make Big Difference for Alabama
- MAR. 2020 - Elsa Engeriser Named National Merit Finalist
- NOV. 2019 - Daphne High School to Host Career Fair
- OCT. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Workforce Development Director Graduates from U.S. Chamber Foundation Education & Workforce Fellowship Program
- SEP. 2019 - STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT ENCOURAGING ALL ALABAMIANS TO TAKE 10 MINUTES AND PARTICIPATE IN THE “TAKE 10 FOR PUBLIC EDUCATION” SURVEY
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 31st Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUL. 2019 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Sponsored Local High School Student to Participate in Economic and Community Development Program at Huntingdon College
- APR. 2019 - Baldwin County Named an ACT Work Ready Community
- MAR. 2019 - 2U Tire Named April Small Business of the Month
- JAN. 2019 - 2019 Baldwin County Career & Job Fair
- NOV. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Nominations
- NOV. 2018 - City of Fairhope Holds Visual Preference Survey Process to Gather Feedback for Future Development
- NOV. 2018 - Hatch Fairhope Announces Grand Opening
- OCT. 2018 - YOUTH LEADERSHIP BLOG: History & Geography Day
- SEP. 2018 - Alliance Publishing Group Named Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Small Business of the Month
- JUL. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber Unveils the Featured Artwork for the 30th Annual Jubilee Festival of Arts
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Wins Communications Excellence Award for Eastern Shore Elf Campaign
- JUN. 2018 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Publishes Updated Election Guide for Primary Runoff Races
- MAY. 2018 - 2018 Primary Election Guide
- MAY. 2018 - Old Tyme Feed: May Small Business of the Month
- MAR. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Winners
- JAN. 2018 - A New Year: Where We've Been & Where We're Going
- SEP. 2017 - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Parts Ways with the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival Foundation
- DEC. 2016 - Fairhope Music Opens New Location
- DEC. 2016 - Brandy Rhodes Coaching Now Open in Fairhope
- NOV. 2016 - Congressman Bradley Byrne Addresses Business Community Following the Presidential Election
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber to Offer Leadership Workshop for Members
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber Young Professionals to Host a Cornhole Tournament to Benefit the Spanish Fort Public Library
- JUL. 2016 - The Eastern Shore Guide to the 4th of July
- MAY. 2016 - May Newsletter
- APR. 2016 - Fairhope Resident Named SCORE Mentor of the Year
- APR. 2016 - The April 2016 Newsletter
- MAR. 2016 - Ribbon Cut for AltaWorx
- MAR. 2016 - Spring 2016 Youth Leadership Applications
- FEB. 2016 - Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and Baldwin County Chambers of Commerce Host 16th Annual Job Fair
- FEB. 2016 - Specialized Therapy Services Opens in Fairhope
- FEB. 2016 - ESCoC Governmental Affairs Survey Results
- SEP. 2015 - Joe Hudson’s Collision Center
- SEP. 2015 - BenchMark Physical Therapy
- SEP. 2015 - Sage Lebanese Cuisine & Café
- SEP. 2015 - Shux on the Pier
- SEP. 2015 - Tourism Executive Of The Year Award
- SEP. 2015 - The 27th Anniversary Jubilee Festival
- SEP. 2015 - Youth Leadership 14th Annual Seven-Month Program
- JUL. 2015 - January 2015 Morning Marketing Release
- APR. 2015 - Eastern Shore Magazine 2015
- FEB. 2015 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER HONORS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD WINNER Tree Planted at Christ the King School
- SEP. 2014 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program Applications Available - Forty Students to be Selected to Participate in Class of 2015
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES June 10 TOPIC: “Economic Update for Baldwin County”
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER TO HOLD CANDIDATES FORUM - For Baldwin County Commissioner Candidates
- Jun. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Candidates Forum
- Apr. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Celebrate the Arts
- Mar. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Mar. 2014 - 30th Prayer Breakfast
- Mar. 2014 - Leadership Applications
- Mar. 2014 - Council Lucheon
- Feb. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Jan. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Nov. 2013 - Eggs N' Issues - Onespot
- Oct. 2013 - Student Art Competition
- Oct. 2013 - E.S.C. Seeks Local Artists
- Oct. 2013 - Candidate Forum Release
- Oct. 2013 - What's Going On in AL Legislature
- Jul.2013 - Mardi Gras Schedule - 2014