2018 Annual Award Winners
FAIRHOPE, Ala. (March 1, 2018) - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce was pleased to announce the 2018 Annual Award winners during the March Business After Hours Event at the Fairhope Airport.
Small Business of the Year – Fairhope Brewing Company
Fairhope Brewing Company opened their doors in 2013 with only two beers on tap and a limited draft distribution in Mobile and Baldwin Counties but has grown exponentially over the last five years. In 2015, they expanded their facilities to include bottling, and Fairhope’s hometown beer can now be found throughout Alabama and along the coast of Mississippi and Florida panhandle. Their team has grown from three full-time employees to 17. The brewery just celebrated another major milestone, installing their new grain silo which holds 60,000 pounds of malted barley. That is more barley than they used in their entire first 18 months of operation but is now less than 90 days’ worth.
The growth has continued in 2018 with the release of their 5th year-round beer in bottles, "Cheap Sunglasses,” which will be available throughout Alabama and the Gulf Coast.
Fairhope Brewing Company is an incredible ambassador for the Eastern Shore with imaginative products & local names for their beers such as "Take the Causeway IPA” and "Tarts & Crafts” released for the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival last Spring.
Fairhope Brewing Company supports other local businesses by sourcing local ingredients and recycling leftover grains to local farmers to use to feed livestock. The brewery is also a constant community partner, supporting numerous charities by hosting events and making donations to fundraisers. Over the past five years, Fairhope Brewing Company has donated more than $75,000 in goods and services and helped facilitate tens of thousands more by donating the use of their venue for fundraisers and community events.
Fairhope Brewing Company has also been an incredible partner to the Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce, hosting the Young Professionals’ Pencils & Glue for Bingo & Brews event, participating in and winning the Annual Cornhole Tournament to raise money for the Spanish Fort Public Library, hosting committee meetings and generously sponsoring Chamber events such as the Annual Meeting, Golf Tournament, the Arts & Crafts Festival Artists Dinner and the Jubilee Festival.
Community Leader – Daniel Meshad, Anchor Cross Cancer Foundation
Daniel Meshad has built his career on service. At the Anchor Cross Cancer Foundation, he assists cancer patients to navigate complex insurance issues and assists with financial aid throughout their treatments. He displays a marked amount of compassion for each individual patient’s situation and comes up with creative solutions to ease the financial burden.
On top of Meshad’s role raising funds to support the Foundation’s mission, he has also held an extremely active role with the Chamber’s Young Professionals as well as being a volunteer Chamber Ambassador.
Environmental Award – Weeks Bay Foundation
The Weeks Bay Foundation is working year-round to highlight the importance of land conservation and clean water. They host several annual events that focus on the sensitive wetlands that surround our waterways such as the Bald Eagle Bash that promotes fresh local shrimp and the Pelican Paddle that gets people out on the water to see the marshes up close. The Weeks Bay Photo Contest showcases people enjoying nature on Alabama’s coast. They also get locals involved with picking up trash and debris during the Fish River/Weeks Bay Clean-up Day.
In 2017 the Weeks Bay Foundation partnered with Thompson Engineering to implement a new rigid plastics recycling program and collected 2,000 pounds of plastics that will be made into toiletry products by Proctor & Gamble. The Foundation also coordinated all the Coastal Cleanup recycling activities for 2017.
The Weeks Bay Foundation is using their quarterly magazine and monthly e-newsletter to educate the public about restoration and conservation efforts in and around the Weeks Bay Watershed.
Service Award – Ben & Cindy Bloom
This year’s Service Award goes to a couple who has made an incredible impact at each of their respective businesses and have also been an asset to the Chamber, willing to pitch in wherever needed.
Cindy Bloom spends her days with Feeding the Gulf Coast, sourcing fresh produce to supply food pantries throughout the Gulf Coast. Ben Bloom is spurring local tourism while promoting the environment at 5 Rivers Delta Resource Center.
As a team, they are always willing to volunteer with a host of Chamber initiatives such as the Young Professionals, events and most recently the new Explore Eastern Shore Tourism Society.
Ambassador of the Year – Sally Wagner, Hartmann, Blackmon & Kilgore
Sally Wagner of Hartmann, Blackmon & Kilgore has been a strong supporter and valuable volunteer for the Chamber for years. She never misses an opportunity to welcome a new business at a ribbon cutting or greeting guests at Business After Hours. She has played an integral role on the Jubilee Festival & Annual Meeting Committees and is a past Chamber Board Member. She and other team members at Hartmann, Blackmon & Kilgore have made a point to consistently support the Chamber through committee involvement, participation, sponsorships and hosting events.
The Young Professional of the Year award signifies the ambition and dedication that the Chamber values from the future business leaders of our community. The Young Professionals Board has selected the 2018 recipient from the Young Professional membership.
Nina Rockwell is energetic and compassionate, constantly asking how she can help. She never misses an event and is always willing to participate in fundraisers and volunteer however needed.
The Young Professional of the Year award is sponsored by Dale Carnegie Training of the Emerald Coast.
- MAY. 2018 - 2018 Primary Election Guide
- MAY. 2018 - Old Tyme Feed: May Small Business of the Month
- MAR. 2018 - 2018 Annual Award Winners
- JAN. 2018 - A New Year: Where We've Been & Where We're Going
- SEP. 2017 - The Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Parts Ways with the Fairhope Arts & Crafts Festival Foundation
- DEC. 2016 - Fairhope Music Opens New Location
- DEC. 2016 - Brandy Rhodes Coaching Now Open in Fairhope
- NOV. 2016 - Congressman Bradley Byrne Addresses Business Community Following the Presidential Election
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber to Offer Leadership Workshop for Members
- SEP. 2016 - Chamber Young Professionals to Host a Cornhole Tournament to Benefit the Spanish Fort Public Library
- JUL. 2016 - The Eastern Shore Guide to the 4th of July
- MAY. 2016 - May Newsletter
- APR. 2016 - Fairhope Resident Named SCORE Mentor of the Year
- APR. 2016 - The April 2016 Newsletter
- MAR. 2016 - Ribbon Cut for AltaWorx
- MAR. 2016 - Spring 2016 Youth Leadership Applications
- FEB. 2016 - Baldwin County Economic Development Alliance and Baldwin County Chambers of Commerce Host 16th Annual Job Fair
- FEB. 2016 - Specialized Therapy Services Opens in Fairhope
- FEB. 2016 - ESCoC Governmental Affairs Survey Results
- SEP. 2015 - Joe Hudson’s Collision Center
- SEP. 2015 - BenchMark Physical Therapy
- SEP. 2015 - Sage Lebanese Cuisine & Café
- SEP. 2015 - Shux on the Pier
- SEP. 2015 - Tourism Executive Of The Year Award
- SEP. 2015 - The 27th Anniversary Jubilee Festival
- SEP. 2015 - Youth Leadership 14th Annual Seven-Month Program
- JUL. 2015 - January 2015 Morning Marketing Release
- APR. 2015 - Eastern Shore Magazine 2015
- FEB. 2015 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER HONORS ENVIRONMENTAL AWARD WINNER Tree Planted at Christ the King School
- SEP. 2014 - Eastern Shore Chamber of Commerce Youth Leadership Program Applications Available - Forty Students to be Selected to Participate in Class of 2015
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER EGGS N’ ISSUES June 10 TOPIC: “Economic Update for Baldwin County”
- SEP. 2014 - EASTERN SHORE CHAMBER TO HOLD CANDIDATES FORUM - For Baldwin County Commissioner Candidates
- Jun. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Candidates Forum
- Apr. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Apr. 2014 - Celebrate the Arts
- Mar. 2014 - Eggs n' Issues
- Mar. 2014 - 30th Prayer Breakfast
- Mar. 2014 - Leadership Applications
- Mar. 2014 - Council Lucheon
- Feb. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Jan. 2014 - Update on I-10 Bridge
- Nov. 2013 - Eggs N' Issues - Onespot
- Oct. 2013 - Student Art Competition
- Oct. 2013 - E.S.C. Seeks Local Artists
- Oct. 2013 - Candidate Forum Release
- Oct. 2013 - What's Going On in AL Legislature
- Jul.2013 - Mardi Gras Schedule - 2014